High Caffeine Bean?

TheLogoMat

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
New to the forum- hello!

Could someone point me to a bean that I can buy online/bulk (at a reasonable price) that naturally packs more of a caffeine punch than your usual "OTC" beans?

-Matt

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Robusta beans have a higher caffeine content than arabica. They tend to be cheaper as well. So, find a lightly roasted robusta if caffeine content is the number one priority. I could roast you a batch if all else fails, but I really don't hang around here to make sales.

PM me if you like.

scott

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I just roasted some Robusta from Brazil.... I was thinking of blending with Sumatra and Yirgascheffe to make some espresso blend.... lol....

Saturday is my roasting day for rest of the week so..... I will roast another batch before I hit the sack ... I am surrounded by amazing smell of coffee... I am in coffee heaven.... ;)

TheCoffeeLocator

Aug 6, 2012
Milano, Italy
Visit site
I think the aquestion was really for a naturally high caffeine bean. and if it wasn't, I've been wandering that too. Light roasted robusta will prioduce higher caffeine coffee, but are their any beans "notoriously" high in natural caffeine content?

Gallupnmfarmer

Mar 19, 2013
NM
Visit site
Look for light roasted coffee beans. Robusta coffee has more caffeine than Arabica but most people prefer the taste of Robusta coffee beans in a small amount hence they are used for espresso or in espresso blends. I just compensate by instead of just making one cup of Arabica coffee, making 1.5 or 2 cups of Arabica coffee and drinking it all at once.

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
As advised - lightly roasted coffee as caffeine is a water soluable chemical. When the coffee is dark roasted, more water is evaporated out of the bean and carries the caffeine with it. Think of water processed decaffeinated coffee, where simply resting green coffee beans in water causes the caffeine to leach out of the beans.

As for robusta - it is put into espresso because it helps produce greater volumes and lighter colored crema. Finding a good source of a single origin robusta is difficult as robusta is notoriously difficult to find in a high quality product, and when roasted by itself can end up smelling and tasting like burnt rubber if taken too dark in the roast.

If you would like to read a little bit about robusta go to this LINK

Last edited: