How about mexican beans?

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi, there!!! I'm a graphic designer from Mexico City and right now I'm working with an indigenous community of coffee makers in Chiapas.

So, I'd like to know what's your position on Mexican Coffee? Is it easy to find mexican coffee where you live? Is there any brand you would recomend? Thank you :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "danpretz"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website.

A couple of years ago, I was exploring all sorts of coffees, and my local roaster had Mexican High Grown coffee. I bought a pound and it was a medium roast. It was very good, and I went back and bought it again. That's the only Mexican coffee that I've had.

Rose

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for answering, Rose =) can I ask you what kind of coffee do you usually drink? How would you rate this mexican coffee in comparison with the one you usually get? =)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I usually drink Papua New Guinea coffee (medium roast).

When I was exploring different coffees, I wrote down the names of several coffees that I would buy if Papua New Guinea wasn't available at my local roaster. The Mexican High Grown was one of those that I would buy again.

Mexican High Grown is often called Mexican Altra. (Altura means high-grown)

Rose

Last edited:

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Is that so? How come? You should really try it, I think you'll be in for a treat =) specially the one from Chiapas. I have the good luck of having a coffee shop at my campus which works with indigenous coffee producers, we get to drink 100% mayan coffee every morning =) It's the best feeling to find a delicious and hot cup of coffee at 6: 30 in the morning when you're waiting for the class to start and you're just hoping you could still be warm at bed.

Why do you think there's so little experience with Mexican coffee?

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes =D I'm currently working with Altura Coffee producers =) I've never tried coffee from New Guinea =) I will definitely search and try!

Is it easy to find mexican coffee where you live?
What about other mexican beverages or food? Have you tried any =)?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
We have a Chiapas in the line up and I really like it. Its full bodied with a long finish that compares well with almost anything else we roast.

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to hear that =) what kind of coffee do you usually drink? Do you have coffee from any other part of Mexico?

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy to say, that after an over two year drought of not being able to find quality Mexican coffee, I've gotten 6 pounds of Mexican FTO Organic Union Majomut. It is a fine Mexican coffee. Smooth and a bit sweet, with a flavor profile that is complex and changes as the cup cools slightly as you drink it. Love Mexican coffee when I can find it.

danpretz

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy to say, that after an over two year drought of not being able to find quality Mexican coffee, I've gotten 6 pounds of Mexican FTO Organic Union Majomut. It is a fine Mexican coffee. Smooth and a bit sweet, with a flavor profile that is complex and changes as the cup cools slightly as you drink it. Love Mexican coffee when I can find it.

Thank's for answering =) I didn't know that brand, it is a high grown from Chiapas too =) Where do you normally find Mexican Coffee?

buckhorn_cortez

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank's for answering =) I didn't know that brand, it is a high grown from Chiapas too =) Where do you normally find Mexican Coffee?

I always order green coffee beans as I roast my own coffee. In this case, the coffee came from Klatch Coffee in Upland, California. I have gotten Mexican coffee from Sweet Maria's, and Burman Coffee Traders in the past.