Death wish

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
A friend of mine sent me a link about this new coffee. I watched a video from GMA about it as well. They are selling this "high octane" coffee. On the video they were all drinking it and saying that they could feel the caffeine and that the coffee was tasty and smooth. The owner in one article says that they roast organic robusta very dark and grind it fine. Here is the kicker. The cost...they are charging...wait for it....$20 a lb! I have a line of coffee that has extra caffeine as well. But its not low grade coffee. I use specialty grade coffee and add caffeine that is mixed in to propylene glycol. I do not charge any more for these coffees. Anyone want to chime in on this?
Need a jolt? Death Wish Coffee promises a kick in the pants - latimes.com

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Topher,

It is the same coffee from Yahoo article i post up few days ago.
I think they are using Robustas and roast medium to achieve twice more caffeine then the most of the regular coffee....

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I think its all about what people want and if we can offer what others do not, then we can charge as much as people are willing to pay.
20 buck might not be expensive if math works.... twice the caffeine and 5-6 dollars per pound more, that might make sense to some people. The owner also said, the death wish is the most popular coffee they sell. So I am sure there is market for highly caffeinated coffee.
if certain roasted coffee existed in the world, I know you can make it ... ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Maybe the novelty of the name "Death Wish" is what people are drawn to, more so than the double-caffeine jolt that the coffee gives. I'm guessing it tastes pretty bad, especially since it's a dark roast.

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
CJ...that's what I was trying to point out earlier..the owner said, "It’s organic, features Robusta coffee beans exclusively roasted very dark - and ground very fine, the maker says. The beans are priced at a rather intense $20 a pound"
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2013/mar/21/death-wish-coffee-strongest-world/