Anyone Interested in Green Bean Kopi Luwak

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Indonesian government farm has about 500kg of Kopi Luwak(green bean) available for quick delivery.
The price is around 300 dollars a pound.
If you are interested, I will send you the contact information.
I am not sure what will be the smallest quantity you can purchase but not very many people can sell green bean Kopi Luwak.
I am assuming since it is from their government, this will be pure and real.

CJ

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
Indonesian government farm has about 500kg of Kopi Luwak(green bean) available for quick delivery.
The price is around 300 dollars a pound.
If you are interested, I will send you the contact information.
I am not sure what will be the smallest quantity you can purchase but not very many people can sell green bean Kopi Luwak.
I am assuming since it is from their government, this will be pure and real.

CJ

hey CJ, have you tried it yourself? if so, what was it like? very curious about it. Thank you

HRC

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
For shits and giggles...one pound of green beans is $300. Let's say after roasting, you net 13 ounces. That equals approximately 364 grams. I use about 10g of beans per 300-350g water. That comes out to roughly $37 per cup.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes I have tried 3 times from this source and about 5 different times in total. Yes I believe if you are getting the beans from the Indonesian government, it would be the real thing.
I just don't think they can sell this coffee for under 150 per pound. I just can't see that being profitable.

If you don't know what "Kopi Luwak" Please do search on here forum. One of the most sought after coffee in the world.
If someone is interested, I would love to purchase about a pound together. Please let me know

ruma

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi CoffeeJunky, I can say that $150 per pound is enough to get a profit. There are some locations in Indonesia where there are many wild luwaks roam nearby the coffee farm.. The growers could pick the luwak bean on the farm everyday.. But unfortunately there are many growers who make a fake luwak coffee or caged luwak coffee just to stabilize their monthly income and state their product as pure, wild luwak coffee.

I'm from Indonesia and I sell coffee as well, so I can say that you can find real luwak coffee if you have an Indonesian friend or if you speak Indonesia language.. Many Indonesian have a mindset that every foreigner is a very rich person, so they tend to charge more from foreigner..

Cheers!

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Is it better than most coffee/

That's debatable. And I'd wager that most roasters and people well-acquainted w/ specialty grade coffee would disagree with you.

I have a friend, born and raised in Jakarta, who is co-owner of an Indonesian-coffee importing business. His partner is from Sumatra w/ many good connections to farmers/villages. They import about a container per month, which sounds like a lot to me, but is really a small player. They started doing the farmed civet-coffee business several years ago. I roast it for him when a customer needs it roasted.

@ruma - When you say, "But unfortunately there are many growers who make a fake luwak coffee or caged luwak coffee just to stabilize their monthly income and state their product as pure, wild luwak coffee" what would perceive the difference to be between caged luwak and wild luwak coffee? In my mind the caged luwak would produce a better coffee since you have control over the cherries the civet cats are eating.

That said, I am not sure I like the caged luwak business model, just from a humane perspective, thinking it's not at all good for the animals.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
That's debatable. And I'd wager that most roasters and people well-acquainted w/ specialty grade coffee would disagree with you.

Agree 100%! Roasted a sample from a trader 4 years ago(small sample genuine Kopi Luwak), I used to buy Sumatran Aceh coffee from trader. Better than the Luwak.
Nice spice, balanced earthiness. Give me extra fancy Kona, HueHuetenanga, oh, too many to name, so I will not do an injustice to them. Keep your Lowak,MHO.

ruma

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I have a friend, born and raised in Jakarta, who is co-owner of an Indonesian-coffee importing business. His partner is from Sumatra w/ many good connections to farmers/villages. They import about a container per month, which sounds like a lot to me, but is really a small player. They started doing the farmed civet-coffee business several years ago. I roast it for him when a customer needs it roasted.

@ruma - When you say, "But unfortunately there are many growers who make a fake luwak coffee or caged luwak coffee just to stabilize their monthly income and state their product as pure, wild luwak coffee" what would perceive the difference to be between caged luwak and wild luwak coffee? In my mind the caged luwak would produce a better coffee since you have control over the cherries the civet cats are eating.

That said, I am not sure I like the caged luwak business model, just from a humane perspective, thinking it's not at all good for the animals.

Hi Peter,

Luwak has an ability to choose the best coffee cherries, so wild luwak would eat only the best cherries. On the other side, growers put a bunch of coffee cherries without any other food to caged luwak. The luwak has no other choice, it have to eat the cherries, otherwise it could die starving.. So whether the cherries are good or not, it have to eat them..