Single Origin Espresso

augustaroaster

Jun 11, 2013
Augusta, GA
Visit site
Howdy Folks!

I am new to the forum and excited to share and receive roasting and coffee knowledge from you all! I guess the best way to get acquainted would be to start off with a question that has been burning in my mind for some time. Being a very small-batch roaster, our roast selection is relatively limited on what we currently roast. We are expanding and getting a bit bigger and roasting a lot more on a daily basis. Our espresso blend is good and we will be serving it at our new coffee and espresso bar. It has a great balance of acidity and sweetness. However, one of the coffees that is in the blend is becoming increasingly difficult to come by for a number of reasons. We have an abundance of several other coffees: Nicaraguan, Bali, Guatemalan, and Tanzanian Peaberry. We have tried these in a single origin espresso however I am wondering if anyone else has tried these in any single origin espresso and what roast profile has worked best. I am also open to other suggestions on a different coffee that works well as an espresso.

Thanks a ton and I look forward to hearing from you all!

roybwilliams

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am also a new very small roasting company and all of my offerings are single origin roasted-to-order coffees. I have been asked for an espresso roast, and while I know that espresso is not a particular bean or roast (it is a method of preparation), I'm sure there are beans and roasts that lend them to this method of preparation. Which single origins are good as an SO espresso? What roast level produces the best flavor? I prepare all of my coffee with the pour-over method, so I'm not very experienced with espresso.
Thanks for your help.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Ethiopians for espresso applications. Colombians, Peruvians, Bolivians or Brazilians would be my first choices, although I'm sure there are some outstanding Central Americans that would do the trick. In general, I prefer sweet beans with low acidity for espresso.

roybwilliams

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
What level do you take the roast to? Do you take it to 2nd crack or even into the 2nd crack, like a Vienna roast, or keep more full city side or lower? I know this is a personal preference issue, but I'm looking for what most would consider an "espresso" roast.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Augustaroaster and roybwilliams, to throw my hat in the ring. I have used Brazil Daterra and Yellow Bourbon as SO espresso. Both delightful at full city to full city + roast.
Also interesting results with Monsooned Malabar Gold after a long rest from roasting it. I would recommend some Costa Rica Terrazu or Costa Rican coffee. Have not personally done much more with SO. I personally like to blend for espresso. I pre-blend and allow 24hrs. before roasting. 40-50% Brazil,25% Yirgacheffe or Harrar, 25% Guatemala HueHuetenango
or Antigua, or Col. Supr. And I use 10% robusto, like the crema! I have some Indian Cherry robusto and some Sumatra Aceh robusto.
Augustaroaster, with your four coffees listed, I would try the Guat. as a SO espresso.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I always loved single origin coffee but I never really thought I get great result on Espresso. I have done many single origin from South American, Asian, and African beans but never really turned out to be great. I have very good espresso but never mind blowing.