Colombia Excelso or Supremo

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Cj: Why did you apologize? There really is no right answer, as the question is posed.

But there is no harm in having a preference, IMO.

HRC

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Generally, shouldn't excelso be considered "better" than supremo? If we assume the smaller size is due to higher altitude growing conditions and not early harvest, that is. I don't care for much supremo but I had a Colombia Cordillera Central the other week (highest elevation in Colombia) and it was very good. Beans were much smaller than supremo.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure the smaller size is necessarily due to altitude. I assume some sorting is done by size.

And I'l also guessing that supremo commands a higher price due to the larger size of bean, although that really has nothing to do with the end product in the cup, imo.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with Eldub, if you see Ethiopian beans, they are generally smaller then South American beans but they have stronger punch to the taste. I guess that is why some of the well blended coffee can give that beautiful complex taste. I think I am going to make another pot of coffee before I go to bed.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I have not tasted this 2 coffee blends yet. But will try and see which one is much better than the other. Any idea how much a bag is?

Flori
Blogger, Coffeeloversofworld.com

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Flori,

The only difference between Columbia Excelso is that Columbia Supremo is bigger beans, which doesn’t affect the taste. Excelso and Supremo will vary in taste from each other, and from their own crops, because the beans come from various farms and various crop yields.

Do you have a local roaster where you buy your coffee? You'd probably be able to find some Colombia Excelso or Supremo there. You probably won't be able to find both of them at the same time, so you may end up trying one first and the other later.

Every roaster sets his/her own prices. You may want to start out with a half pound at a time.

Rose