What kind of beans should I get?

gokusdog

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I am just getting into coffee and I am going to buy a french press (or aeropress) so I was wondering what are some good beans to use with good flavoring? also can someone tell me which of those two are better for making coffee at home. Also if this helps I like my coffee really sweet :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "gokusdog"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

We're going to need some more information before we can offer some suggestions.

How are you enjoying your coffee now? Do you buy specialty drinks at a local coffee shop, or maybe regular brewed coffee?

Do you use a drip brewer at home? What kind of coffee are you currently enjoying?

There is a bit of a difference between an French Press and an Aeropress. It's difficult to recommend one over the other. It's a matter of preference, convenience, and taste. The good news is that they are both inexpensive, and if you buy one and don't like it, you can always buy the other.

Rose

gokusdog

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi "gokusdog"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums!

We're going to need some more information before we can offer some suggestions.

How are you enjoying your coffee now? Do you buy specialty drinks at a local coffee shop, or maybe regular brewed coffee?

Do you use a drip brewer at home? What kind of coffee are you currently enjoying?

There is a bit of a difference between an French Press and an Aeropress. It's difficult to recommend one over the other. It's a matter of preference, convenience, and taste. The good news is that they are both inexpensive, and if you buy one and don't like it, you can always buy the other.

Rose

I really appreciate the high quality of the reply you gave me rose thank you very much. Well I used to drink coffee out of an old coffee maker that was just a drip brewer, and I got a coffee from mcdonalds a few weeks ago and ever since then I have remembered my love for coffee so I decided to buy something that made it taste better than my old coffee maker. Also which of the two is easier to use? (I don't really care about which ones faster than the other)

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Congratulations on your new venture which may be never ending! After years I still pursue that "better cup", it is quite an adventure.
Regarding your purchase of brewing equipment,(I am sure others will chime in), I used the French press for a number of years and it performed
very well, as long as your brewed coffee is poured out into a heated carafe immediately after brewing time. Too much contact with the grounds
leads to over saturation, and your coffee will be too strong. Never used the Aeropress, but understand many brewers get great results.
Youtube will offer much in the way of brewers and brewing. My preference is the pourover, and I use the Chemex with a Hario kettle
and the Coava cone(now Able brewing). Original investment is a little expensive, but to me whether roasting or brewing, the proof and success
is in the cup!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Sorry! As far as sweet coffee, determine if your sweetness is toward fruit(Yirgacheffe & Harrar), great Ethiopians, or chocolate and mocha(Brazil Daterra, Guatemala
HueHuetenango, Mocha Yemen, or a Mocha Java blend -there are a few. I have gotten chocolate in some Dominican Republican coffee. Consider this a short list.
Try many, enjoy the experience!

gokusdog

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I think that chocolate and mocha sounds good :D I think I might try something like that, also if someone could find me a link to a site that sells just coffee beans I would appreciate it

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I think you should spend some time watching YouTube videos on how to use both a French Press and an Aeropress.

Since you've used a simple drip brewer, you need to understand that the French Press and the Aeropress take more time, effort, and practice to get the coffee the way you want it. The French press requires a bit more clean-up to get the grounds out of it. And, you'll need to buy special filters if you use the Aeropress. So, do some exploring and decide which method is right for you.

There are other methods for making coffee. Is there a particular reason why you chose these two?

Do you have a local roaster where you live? It's best to buy your coffee locally, but if you need to order it from the Internet we can offer some suggestions.

When you say you like your coffee sweet, do you mean that you like to add lots of sugar to your coffee?

Rose

gokusdog

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you should spend some time watching YouTube videos on how to use both a French Press and an Aeropress.

Since you've used a simple drip brewer, you need to understand that the French Press and the Aeropress take more time, effort, and practice to get the coffee the way you want it. The French press requires a bit more clean-up to get the grounds out of it. And, you'll need to buy special filters if you use the Aeropress. So, do some exploring and decide which method is right for you.

There are other methods for making coffee. Is there a particular reason why you chose these two?

Do you have a local roaster where you live? It's best to buy your coffee locally, but if you need to order it from the Internet we can offer some suggestions.

When you say you like your coffee sweet, do you mean that you like to add lots of sugar to your coffee?

Rose

Well I don't have a local roaster near me since I live in a very small town, and the reason I wanted to choose between a french press and an aero press is because people I have talked to said they make the better coffee than a simple drip brewer. And yes I like to add lots of sugar to my coffee but I would like to have it flavored.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
it depends on what you like for your coffee to taste like. for starters you can check if there are any local roasters in your area to make sure you get fresh coffee.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Both the Aeropress and French Press are good. It depends upon your convenience. The French press eschews disposable filters and convenient for drinkers for they can control over the brew time and the end strength of coffee. The size and shape of Aeropress also is making it ideal for a cup of coffee if you travel for work or visit a friend. Anyway, both have shorter brewing time.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Pros and Cons of both

French press is quick and easy to use. If you get the right grind, you will get the one of the better brewing results. Like some of the member mentioned above, you do not over extract coffee with this method. That will result in bitter and thick taste.

Aero press would be one of the way to brew your coffee. This is arguably one of the best way to brew your coffee. It will give you clean, bright and lovely flavor of your favorite coffee. But using Aeropress would be awful if you have to make 5 cup size. It would take too much effort to make very large servings.

Both, Aeropress and French press coffee brewing methods will give great tasting coffee and I would not hesitate to recommend either of the brewing method. But there are many out there you should explore not just these two. Chemex drip brewing to Hario drip brewer, Siphon to many other brewing method should be explored before settling on one.

Like Rose have said above, go into youtube and see what flocks your interest. Narrow down to 2-3 and look up for their advantage and disadvantages and make your own decision and select the best one for you. I think there aren't one right answer or wrong answer to your question.

Good Luck

Last edited: