Buying Large Quantity of Beans

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
Newbie to the forum, so be gentle.

I've bought a few bags of 5lb's in green beans so far. I'm venturing out and looking to sell my beans to friends and others who have been interested in what I have provided thus far.

I saw on an older post that someone says he never buys a large quantity of beans until he cups.

My questions is will the big sellers let you buy a smaller quantity to do this?

What is the best route to take? I've been buying from this supplier right now and I believe, as I start searching, I can do better. I understand buying in volume gives you a better price, but it seems like a shot in the dark.

Any advice would be great.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "bmcglynn"

Welcome Newbie!

We have a lot of people on this forum who actively buy green beans for their roasting businesses. I remember reading some posts containing information about where to buy smaller quantities of beans. I'll take a look and see if I can find them.

Rose

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Every single green wholesaler I have ever done business with will ship you samples before purchase. They fully understand the need to taste the coffee before buying it. The quantity will range between 1/2 pound and 1 pound samples depending on the supplier.

There are a few other options also. I started the green coffee co-op back in 2004 which started as a way to group buy green coffee in large quantities at wholesale prices. There was a difference of opinion on how it should be run so I handed of the operation. They wanted the coffee to be strictly for personal use which is still the rule today, unfortunately. They also limit the amount of coffee you can buy at one time.

That model has been copied and there are a few other coffee group buy sites. I've noticed they inflate the prices slightly but sometimes you can find good deals.

I'm actually in the process of starting another green coffee group buy site for small business roasters. Unlike the other group buy sites there won't be any restrictions on quantity.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Every single green wholesaler I have ever done business with will ship you samples before purchase. They fully understand the need to taste the coffee before buying it. The quantity will range between 1/2 pound and 1 pound samples depending on the supplier.

There are a few other options also. I started the green coffee co-op back in 2004 which started as a way to group buy green coffee in large quantities at wholesale prices. There was a difference of opinion on how it should be run so I handed of the operation. They wanted the coffee to be strictly for personal use which is still the rule today, unfortunately. They also limit the amount of coffee you can buy at one time.

That model has been copied and there are a few other coffee group buy sites. I've noticed they inflate the prices slightly but sometimes you can find good deals.

I'm actually in the process of starting another green coffee group buy site for small business roasters. Unlike the other group buy sites there won't be any restrictions on quantity.

This will greatly help small business or small time roasters.
Most of the wholesale company will charge around 150 dollars up to 600 pounds of beans so if you calculate it is about 25 cents per pound of delivery charge if you buy 600 pounds. And green beans are anywhere from around 2-3 dollars per pound if you buy directly from the wholesale company.

This will greatly cut down on your over head if you order maximum weight. Also green beans will last about 1-2 years in your cool and dry storage area. So with large initial investment, you can greatly benefit from cheaper cost of beans.

It makes alot of sense to purchase beans together.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
It would have helped me immensely when I first started my roasting business. Most people want to keep their costs as low as possible when starting up.

The problem I had when I started was limited selection for my customers. When you have to buy full sacks of green at a time to get the best price you really don't have many options. If you want 5 different varieties of coffee you have to buy 5 full sacks. Or, buy smaller quantities from Sweet Maria's and greatly lower your margins.

The group buy model for small business and startups is the perfect solution. Once your business starts growing and you are making money you can move on to purchasing 5 - 10 sacks of coffee at a time like I do now.

BuzzRoaster

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Generally wholesale prices run from $2 per pound to $5 per pound. Depending on quality and origin. Bag sizes also vary depending on origin. They are as follows:

100lbs Hawaii
110.23lbs Yemen
132lbs Swiss Water Decaf
132.28lbs Indonesia, Africa, Brazil
152.12lbs Most Central & South America
154.32lbs Bolivia, Colombia

I took these bag sizes from the Atlas Coffee website.

bmcglynn

Sep 11, 2013
Warrenville, IL
Visit site
I would venture to say buying 100+lb bags today won't do since the customers aren't there. Plus, I don't have the capital, yet. But in the foreseeable future, when (I do mean when) the business takes off, this would be prudent to do. In the meantime, I guess searching for the best 25-50lb wholesaler at a good cost and bean quality, that will send out samples (at a cost), is the best route to go.

I have a co-op group in my area--expeeeeensive. If anyone have any groups to send me, that would be helpful. I've been on the web hunting down a great many suppliers now. Like I said, the one I have now, I feel is okay.

I appreciate everyone's advice. I feel it is always good to ask those who have paved the way a better route then reinventing the wheel. Anything else to add out there in forum land?

wisdom74

Oct 25, 2014
California
Visit site
BuzzRoaster
I see some useful info in your post that I would like to ask you few questions about. I have access to 100% arabica green coffee beans but I am looking for a company that I can be supplying on regular basis. About 2-3 containers a month. Thanks

Latest posts