beans aren't outgassing

cupojoy

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I bought some green coffee and roasted them. I have tried 15 batches and a variety of profiles, NONE of them outgas. Do green beans go bad? I thought they had a long shelf life until they are cooked.

Also I bought the same beans roasted and green and I can't get my roast to resemble theirs in any way.

Suggestions?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
On what criteria are you basing your statement that the beans aren't degassing?

How do your results differ from the roasted beans you bought?

cupojoy

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
As soon as I roast then I squeeze all the air out of the pouch bag and wait 12-24 before brewing them. They never puff up the bag.

They roasted beans I bought actually taste good! Not able to tell if they outgassed because they were brought by someone in there luggage and it may have crushed out the co2.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There is no better way to roast beans while it is still fresh to have an excellent taste of coffee. But if it is really needed to keep the beans for several days or months, just keep it in a close container or in a cool dry place.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I wouldn't get too caught up in the degassing aspect. It's what's in the cup that matters.

I totally agree. How is the taste? As long as it taste fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
When I roast my coffee, I leave them in a open container for few days. After, I would put them in air tight container.

cupojoy

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree. How is the taste? As long as it taste fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
When I roast my coffee, I leave them in a open container for few days. After, I would put them in air tight container.

I always thought a puffy bag was a sign of freshness. Plus the taste isn't like the roasted samples I got. Very winey and sort of hay like. I went slower and longer but can't get past that. I would drop it but the samples were so good. I'm puzzled.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The end product depends on the roast profile as well as the quality of the green bean.

The flavors you mention lead me to believe your beans may be under roasted. The start temps may have been too low and you may have dallied too long before the beans reached 300* and finished drying. It's possible that your roaster wasn't hot enough when the beans were between 350 and 400*. Its also possible that the process took to long to boot and you baked rather than roasted the beans.

I'm not sure what controls your Hottop programable has, but I like to keep my roaster's air temps between 300 and 350* while drying the beans. (Bean mass usually goes down to between 200 and 235* before bottoming out and heading back up. In general, I also want to get the roaster air temp up to 400* before the bean mass reaches 350*. When the bean mass reached 375* or so, I then like to slow the process down through first crack. In general, I never let the air temp in my roaster get above 425* and the roasting process usually takes around 15 minutes to complete.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind I'm working on a professional roaster and my control, temp monitors may vary significantly from yours.

cupojoy

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The end product depends on the roast profile as well as the quality of the green bean.

The flavors you mention lead me to believe your beans may be under roasted. The start temps may have been too low and you may have dallied too long before the beans reached 300* and finished drying. It's possible that your roaster wasn't hot enough when the beans were between 350 and 400*. Its also possible that the process took to long to boot and you baked rather than roasted the beans.

I'm not sure what controls your Hottop programable has, but I like to keep my roaster's air temps between 300 and 350* while drying the beans. (Bean mass usually goes down to between 200 and 235* before bottoming out and heading back up. In general, I also want to get the roaster air temp up to 400* before the bean mass reaches 350*. When the bean mass reached 375* or so, I then like to slow the process down through first crack. In general, I never let the air temp in my roaster get above 425* and the roasting process usually takes around 15 minutes to complete.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind I'm working on a professional roaster and my control, temp monitors may vary significantly from yours.

I see. I will rearrange the program and see what happens. I did have it set longer in the low temps.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If the temp is too low, you won't be roasting the coffee, you would be baking them. Try few different roasting profile. I would try to finish the roasting within about 9-12 mins So high to almost first crack and lower the heat down to finish the roast.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Please pardon the hijack, but I need my understanding of the physics behind the outgassing brought up to speed, and here's why. A few weeks ago I roasted a batch of some decaf Mexican, and because I don't have the percentages exact for moisture/weight loss in the roast I ended up w/ about 1/3lb. extra. I vac-sealed it, because I rarely drink decaf, but wanted to keep it.

It was sealed tight as a brick, in a bag maybe three times the volume of the beans. A week later, and the bag is completely poofed out and taught. I'm puzzled that the beans could produce that much CO2, in effect twice their own volume. I was thinking where could all this gas come from? And the inner cellular spaces in the beans aren't now a vacuum, so there's still something in there where the gas came out of. It's just weird.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Yes, beans will release gas and if you do not properly store them like I did when I first starting to roast, i ended up blowing the bag. It was funny I thought mice got onto my coffee beans because it was stored in my kitchen and beans were everywhere on the floor. Took me awhile to realized what had happened.

Also the CO2 will ruin the taste of the coffee. So you need to release them.