Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8

    Roasting Reference

    I am new to roasting and am having trouble hearing first and second crack. I am using the I-Roast and it is very noisey, combined with my, as my women puts it, my inability to hear makes stopping the roast at the right place difficult. Is there a publication that has true pictures of the various degrees of roast? I have tried downloading pictures but found the colors to be not true.

    BikerGar

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    EDISON WA-Center of the Universe
    Posts
    487
    have you tried using temp as a reference as to when to expect the 1st and second? Do you know what I'm talkinga bout? This is not a dig, just trying to know reference point.
    If your java tastes bitter: ASK QUESTIONS.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by NW JAVA
    have you tried using temp as a reference as to when to expect the 1st and second? Do you know what I'm talkinga bout? This is not a dig, just trying to know reference point.
    As far as the I-Roast goes it gives a temp, but I believe it is the air at the heat coil being measured, not bean temp. I am not using a stand alone thermometer. If I should be using one do you have a recomendation?
    What I was originaly looking for was a color chart to match my roast color to the established standard for roast color.

    As far as a dig I'm so new at this I wouldn't know the difference.

    Thanks
    BikerGar

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    EDISON WA-Center of the Universe
    Posts
    487
    would it be possable to inster a bbq replacment therometer into the roasting chamber?
    If your java tastes bitter: ASK QUESTIONS.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by NW JAVA
    would it be possable to inster a bbq replacment therometer into the roasting chamber?
    I think I can work something out using a thermometer.

    Can I assume that bean temp not bean color is the critical factor in roasting?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    EDISON WA-Center of the Universe
    Posts
    487
    Really both are IMPORTANT. If is looks like a....., and smells like a.....it probably is a.....does that make sence to you?
    If your java tastes bitter: ASK QUESTIONS.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    I just purchased the Kenneth Davids book and the roast style reference guide is very good. It appears the original book had the SCAA Color tiles, the revised does not. Is there a poster or publication that contains these color tiles?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Georgia, USA
    Posts
    176
    The color tiles are the SCAA/Agtron classification system. You might search the web to see if anyone has an online chart.

    The color, aroma and sound of the roasting process are all crucial factors. I'm still learning! But don't overlook time. I keep a roasting log and use a stop-watch when I'm roasting. I think your home roaster is rather consistent as far as temperature control, so perhaps you could keep a log and use time as the best reference. Take notes on each batch and determine what works best.

    Keep in mind, though, that different varieties of beans have different moisture content. So, over several different beans, your roast time will vary.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanGrinder
    The color tiles are the SCAA/Agtron classification system. You might search the web to see if anyone has an online chart.

    The color, aroma and sound of the roasting process are all crucial factors. I'm still learning! But don't overlook time. I keep a roasting log and use a stop-watch when I'm roasting. I think your home roaster is rather consistent as far as temperature control, so perhaps you could keep a log and use time as the best reference. Take notes on each batch and determine what works best.

    Keep in mind, though, that different varieties of beans have different moisture content. So, over several different beans, your roast time will vary.
    Thanks for the reply. I have searched for a chart to no avail, borrowed a stethoscope, used a stopwatch, smelled the smoke, and used color. All the stethoscope does is make the I-Roast louder. I am not far enough along to use aroma. I am using a log to document my roast profiles and time. I am having very good luck from full city and darker using the descriptions from the Ken Davids book. Anything lighter is hit and miss due to the lack of a visual on the oils. In spite of this I am having fun and getting some great coffee.

    Looks like you and I are in for a little winter tonight. I am just up the road from you in Crossville, Tn.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Crete and UK
    Posts
    9

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

agtron roast color classification system
,
agtron roasting classification
,
coffee roast color chart
,

scaa agtron chart

,
scaa agtron roast color classification system
,
scaa coffee agrton color tiles
,
scaa color chart
,
scaa color tiles
,
scaa roast color classification system
,
scaa roast tiles knock off
,
scaa web-based color chart
,
scaa/agtron roast color classification system
Click on a term to search for related topics.