Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Degassing

Degassing

Good Morning, an early one for me. Just poured my first cup of coffee.
    I was wondering, in general, how long do you allow your fresh roasted
    coffee to degas? Do you leave the bag open or if there is a one way
    valve, do you seal the bag. Currently, I leave the bag open for a couple
    of days. Thanks.

I use a 5lb bag with degassing valve. releases CO2 keeps O2 out. One way valve if the term fits.
    Charlie
    If you are afraid of failure or losing money, quit while you are ahead

I like to let my coffee degas for 72hrs. I know the standard is at least 24hrs. Found best results waiting for the 3 days. If you use valve bags, you will have to
    heat seal, unless they have a zip lock for proper degassing. Have to admit that for a number of years I acquired Folgers containers which are actually great for
    the degassing process. I now use(before bagging and shipping) food-grade buckets from Uline-2 Gallon Plastic Pail S-9941 - Uline
    They have from 1gal-5gal. I believe. I still have to "burp" the Uline containers a while after roasting(maybe 2 or three times because they form a good airtight seal)Degassing-002.jpg

Spice, the way you pose your question I'm assuming you've bought someone's coffee and then have opened the bag/can and are allowing it to degas.

If you are buying my coffee you open the bag and make a pot. We roast, rest it for two to three days (if possible), grind, bag, seal, and let the freshness valve keep the bag from becoming a total blimp, just a semi-blimp. You also reseal the bag since oxygen and light are deletrious to coffee freshness.

If you're opening bags and letting them degass then you're not doing the coffee or yourself any favours.

If you're buying Folger's or another factory coffee, chances are it degassed way before it was packaged.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

Super Moderator
    I read some old posts, and saw that a few months ago Spice was learning how to roast coffee with the intention of selling it at Farmer's markets.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that the question is about degassing the coffee that she recently roasted.

Degassing of roasted coffee emits carbon dioxide which is needed to protect the delicate flavor and aroma of the coffee. Don’t degas for one week otherwise you lose some flavor and aroma, and best recommendation to do it shall be for 24 hours.

In addition, fresh roasted coffee can be kept in one-way degassing valve bags to emit carbon dioxide but keeping oxygen not to come in to spoil even is several days.

Super Moderator
    I just read an article about a new company that is trying to make a coffee maker that roasts grinds and brews. The whole process takes only 15 minutes. What about the degassing time? Whole bean coffee tastes grassy if you drink it within the first 24 hours....
    Cool beans: New coffee machine roasts, grinds, then brews - NBC News.com
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    I like the way they use the word probably in the article when they say: "Naturally, it's going to take longer than putting a "pod" into a machine in which all that needs to happen is hot water passing through the grinds — but if you can wait 15 minutes for your coffee, this will probably be a better brew."

To me, probably means maybe it will be a better brew.

Most ordinary people don't know about degassing after roasting. They're probably going to love their fresh-roasted coffee no matter how bad it really is.

Rose

I think coffee should be allowed to rest, but also think most people make a bigger deal out of it than necessary. Granted, coffee that has rested/de-gassed for 3 days might taste better than it would at 1 day, and at 24 hours it will taste better than it would 1 hour out of the roaster. But that's not to say that the coffee right out of the roaster will be bad; it will simply be better, with more developed flavors with more rest. If coffee is tasting grassy or bad when it's straight out of the roaster, it probably wasn't roasted properly.

I agree with Peter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links