Bitter coffee. why?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok, for the most part I am happy with the roasts on the behmor, but, at times I am getting a lightly bitter after taste. I am starting to try to change my roast profile by opening the door 1-3 times between 1c and 2c. I keep tight notes on the times to 1c and 2c and how the cracks sound (infrequent, aggressive, etc..) total roast times are between 12:30 and 13:30. Some times I just don't seem to extract as much sweetness from the roast and I get a slightly bitter note. Coffee beans are from the same batch so that is not the issue. Batch weight is the same (1/2 pound). I have been using Columbian excelso and Costa rica terrazzo beans.

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
Never used a Behmor roaster, but used to use an electric roaster with 2 burners. Is your thought of opening the door to stall or slow down the roast?
You may like to view others findings in home roaster forums. By your total roast times stated, is where I like to begin 1st crack, so extending your roast times
if possible is where I would start to rid the bitter/sour notes.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've never used that roaster, but it sounds like it is running too hot, to me. I'm guessing that you are scorching the outer surface of the beans if they are coming out bitter.

On the other hand, if you have no temp gauges or control the entire process would be a crap-shoot to me.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I agree with both above. I would keep on eye on the temperature and roasting time little more closely. Most of the people who use these machine do not watch the roast that closely.

Good Luck

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Not to thread-crap or speak poorly of the Behmor, but I know very very few people who get good coffee out of them, and know many people who tried them and found they could roast great coffee with other roasters. It may not be how you're using it.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
thats helpful. I have read about people rigging thermocouplers so they can get an environment temp. I will try to delay 1c a bit. It is not every time that it is bitter, and I have stalled the roast a couple of time and can tell what that tastes like. Even in a drum roaster with a small batch (1/2 - 1 lb) you think 1c should start at approx the 13 min mark? I have been so concerned about baking the coffee, when does that occur?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd be more concerned about burning it with your gear. Baking happens from too long, too low temps.

Our roasts run from 15-16 minutes.

If you have no idea of ambient temps baking or burning could be the norm, imo.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Prolonged 1c to about 12-13 minutes on a Mexican Chiapas and it was remarkably better! Much more nutty with more complexity and No burnt or bitter after taste! I just "fluttered' the door 4 times on a routine cycle for about 3-4 secs each time. That moved the 1c out from 8:30-9 to 12:45. Thanks for the tip! Im going to try to do the same form my Costa Rica and see how it turns out.

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
i used the behmor for quite a while. it was the last home roasting step i took before taking the leap and buying a 6 lb roaster.
1)are you preheating? i used the 1/4 pound setting for the suggested time and then put the drum in and started the roast right away.
2)are you using the 1 lb "p1" setting? seemed to me the sweet spot for my behmor was 12 oz green on that setting.
3)are you keeping the door closed when the cool cycle starts? or opening it? or better yet removing the drum as soon as the cool cycle begins? it's a pretty bad design (but cost effective, which is the idea) to leave the beans in the machine to cool, so you gotta do something, right?
4)are you keeping the machine nice and clean inside with some natural cleaner like simple green followed by a dry run? found this to be essential for the sake of consistency...roast times changed considerably without cleaning.

any more luck on the costa rican beans?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! I have not roasted more than 8 oz at a time. I do use the P1 setting with 1 pound. As soon as I hit the cool button I open the door and turn box fan on until I can take the drum out with my bare hands. I though about using oven mitts and taking it out ASAP. I think that my problem might be that I am getting to 1C too soon (10-11 min). I do clean it out after each use and do a dry run every 4-5 roasts. I have not actually cleaned it yet. The window is showing some build up but i am still able to see the beans well. what are the 1c, 2c and total times on some of your central american beans? i will be trying a Costa rican today and will let you know the outcome!

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
what are the 1c, 2c and total times on some of your central american beans?

i have a guatemala hht that i found the best results with hitting 1c around 9:30 and finishing around 410*F around 3 minutes later, quite a ways before 2c. on my roaster, 1c is at 387* and 2c is around 430*, so i guess you could say right in between. if i were you i'd get a bottle of something like "simple green" and clean the inside of your machine well every few roasts, especially if you're hitting 2c.

let it be said...i am by no means an expert. but i have been soaking up all i can from talking with other roasters here and elsewhere. the variety of "correct" methodology is astounding. i see some world champion roasters finishing their roasts in 1c at like 390* in less than 7 minutes. willem boots online school teaches hitting 1c around 8-9 min, with at least 2 min and no more than 6 min until the end of the roast. then i see others (even senior members on this site) saying you should pull the roast out 15-20 minutes, 1c as late as 15 minutes. many roasters will tell you that a single degree or two finishing temp or an extra minute (or even a few seconds) totally changes their cup. i am coming to see that most coffees can be enjoyed a lot of different ways...taste being so elusively subjective. is your red the same as mine?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing and hearing the same thing! I think there are a number of ways to roast, and possibly a lot has to do with what equipment you have. The Costa Rica was awesome with the 12oz batch size. 1C was at 12 minutes. The aroma and flavor were more developed. How do you deal with a softer bean like a sumatra or brazil in your Behmor? Would treat your africans (kenya and ethiopa) the same as the centrals?
What is you take on how roasts develop in a fluid bed vs. drum? It seems from talking and watching that the roast times are shorter with a fluid bed, what do you think? Sorry for all the questions!