How do you tell your coffee beans are bad? They are not milk and smell sour!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
about 4 weeks after the roasting. But actually 2 weeks after the roasting, it will start to lose its integrity and after 4 weeks, it should not be used but if you store them properly, you can prolong the life of the coffee to about 4 months.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
namballe: I'm guessing the op is stating its tough to tell when beans have gone bad, as they aren't a commodity like milk that smells sour when bad.

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
If you are selling coffee beans, one thing to know well is how to determine that the beans you sell is bad. Otherwise, your business is losing if you are selling bad beans. Cheap beans can be one of the signs that the beans are not good. There is a possibility that the source is using poor quality beans that allows higher percentage of moldy beans to be mixed. Some are mixing beans from multiple areas which made it very cheap one also. It is very important to get source from a single estate. Again beans that are molding are not good.

Roasting is also important to determine that the coffee beans is good because it is a decision based on how it last longer and the production is mass scale. Over roasted beans are not a good beans and the appearance are somewhat oily.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello BuyBulkStuff,

Are you selling roasted prepackaged coffee? Whole beans or ground?

You need to know when the coffee was roasted and see how it was packaged in order to estimate the shelf life.

It's obviously much easier to tell if your milk has gone bad by the smell and the taste. Coffee is quite different, and although you can essentially use the coffee when it gets old, the taste won't be the same.

I have a feeling you're looking for answers as to what the coffee beans look like when they're aged to the point where the taste is altered.

I've noticed that when I buy freshly roasted beans, there is a slight oil on some of the beans. As the days go by, the oil gets less and less, and the beans become dryer looking. I never have my coffee beans around for more than a couple of weeks. Maybe one of our members who are roasters could give you a better visual description of what to look for.

If you're selling roasted coffee beans, you need to know the roast date. If someone is trying to pass off their beans to you to re-sell, you're probably going to get a cheap price, but you're going to get old beans.

Rose

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
The best way to ensure good beans is to know the crop/harvest year, how they were transported and stored before you got them, and then most importantly would be to roast and cup a sample. There is no way to know if good-looking beans are going to taste good.

Buybulkstuff

Yes this is a learning process. We are a distributor of product that was roasted the same day and we don't take the inventory until a client orders it. This is how we have been assured from the manufacture of the best arabica roast product available. The main reason is I had a bag sitting in my storage freezer for about a month and it still smells like the day it was roasted and sealed. They gave me so much I had to store it. We are not selling a million pounds a week we continuously move through the grounded product within 7 days to keep stock fresh. Our roaster is based in NJ and CA so both our warehouses get next day delivery. We just broker the products mainly to hotels and restaurants across the country. We just started wholesaling to the public just to see if home owners would have the same response as a business. Well again thank you all for who responded I value advice. Happy Holidays!