How much water to use? In ml

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Coffee brewing for cold water they say use 6 oz of water which is close to 200 ml. What is the amount of ml water equivalent to 6 oz? Online calculators say 177, but don't have the same volume as 6 oz

Last edited:

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I was measuring by weight. 6 oz. on my scale is 200 grams. Usually in conversion from ml to grams its 1:1 like 150ml weight 150g.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
For 1ml of water to weigh 1g, it needs to be pure water (i.e. distilled water) at temperature 39.2°F/4°C. Why do it the hard way, anyway? 6oz of water is 3/4 cup...

Mugsy

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
This is where the whole "Metric System vs. American Measuring System" comes in....the Metric System measures WEIGHT in grams (milligram, kilograms, etc.). It measures VOLUME by liters (milliliter, etc.).

The `Murrican System uses the term "ounces" petty much interchangeably, which leads to the confusion at hand, where some don`t realize that there`s a distinct difference between "DRY" ounces and "FLUID" ounces.

tazzadiluna

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Mugsy, we are aware of that. I think paypalboutique doesn't have a measuring cup at all, just a scale. So he was relying on the ratio of water in grams to milliliter to convert, but water has to be pure water at a certain temperature for that conversion to be accurate. So, I suggested for him to get a measuring cup. I agree with Namballe, in his case he'll need one that has both ounces and milliliters in it for easy conversion.

paypalboutique

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I saw a YouTube video and the guy used 420 grams water weight on scale for 2 cups, but that weighed more than 12 oz. I weight 200 grams which measures 6 oz on the liquid measuring cup. 177 ml is less than 6 oz on the measuring cup, which is suppose to be the metric equilent of 6 oz. I was just taking it all in and trying to be to exact on water measurement.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I saw a YouTube video and the guy used 420 grams water weight on scale for 2 cups, but that weighed more than 12 oz. I weight 200 grams which measures 6 oz on the liquid measuring cup. 177 ml is less than 6 oz on the measuring cup, which is suppose to be the metric equilent of 6 oz. I was just taking it all in and trying to be to exact on water measurement.

You are confusing 6oz. of volume vs. 6oz. of mass.

That's been a 'thing' for a while now, to measure water in grams. But it's not necessary. Find a good brew ratio of grams of coffee to fluid ounces of water, and you'll be fine.