body fullness

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What does "full body" mean to you?

Each different cultivar will exhibit a particular mouthfeel. Itcan be either enhanced or destroyed by improper roasting or brewing.
So it depends on the beans you roast, how you roast them (specific roast profile), and how you brew. A method such as French Press, retains more of the fatty oils, and can create more body, or mouthfeel, in the cup if that is what you like. As I mentioned in the beginning, even when doing a cupping so all of the coffees are on a level playing field, each coffee will have a different kind of texture to it.

It may be you need to explore a lot more coffees.

justi

Jan 26, 2014
central Colorado
Visit site
I have been roasting Americans, Africans, Indonesians. I don't want to change the grind and get the muddy feel. My coffee has great look and flavor, it just seems "watery" , the feel. .... not taste. I have added to the drop (amount of coffee) when brewing with no luck. Is there a step in the roast I'm missing? I am roasting @ 8000' as well.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What is your brew ratio?

It sounds like either too coarse of grind and not enough brewing time OR not enough coffee.
I recommend 1 gram of coffee to every 15-17g of water. Adjust grind accordingly.

You might want to pick the brains of the guys over at Coal Creek Coffee in WY. They are around 7800' and may have some pointers. As I roast at altitude as well (though about 3,000 less) I know you need different profile than the typical sea level roasters.

BlueMoods

Feb 1, 2014
USA
Visit site
Also look at brewing temperature, it may be either to high or too low and not extracting the oils you want to get the mouth feel you are looking for. Try a different method of brewing as well, or if using a press, start slightly hotter so that it steeps at exactly the right temperature. I like mine to steep at 96 degrees so I start at 99 in my press. Perfect when it's done. (Yes 2-3 degrees really does matter with coffee.)