Green beans: How old is too old?

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
greenbeandirect is great because you are getting the beans as soon as they are acquired from the supplier. How old is too old to acquire beans? I have seen beans with other suppliers where they acquired the beans in 6/2013 or even early 2013 and are still offering. Is this too old?

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Nope.

There is no hard and fast answer to your question. First of all, find a resource that has guidelines for a given region's harvest and shipping schedule. Indonesian coffees come in a different times than Central Americans which can be different than Africans. There's also the variable of when a coffee was harvested in its own cycle; early harvest, mid or late harvest. It could have been harvested several months before your broker/importer received it.

If stored properly, green coffee will still be in its prime for at least a year. And realize that it doesn't just fall of a cliff in terms of flavor and nuance. Coffee at two years past harvest, stored properly might be a little off, but unless you had it a few times during that period you may never know that it's two years old.

So I wouldn't be real concerned about it. Just be aware, for example, that new crop Centrals will be rolling in in a couple months. That's not to say that the new crop will be any better than last year's, but if the broker had some outstanding Centrals from the '12-'13 crop they'd be gone so what they have now may have been picked over.

Also, ask yourself how long you'll have the coffee on hand. Buying a very good coffee remaining from last year won't hurt you, but don't buy enough for 2 years or it'll be 3 years old by the time you use it up.

f1lupo

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
@ peterjschmidt

thanks for the info. Many times I see friends buy a very large batch of beans due to a good price etc. but then if not stored properly (or some times even if stored properly)the beans are stale/old by the time they get around to use them. Best to buy small fresh qauntities that will be used in the near future.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
@ peterjschmidt

thanks for the info. Many times I see friends buy a very large batch of beans due to a good price etc. but then if not stored properly (or some times even if stored properly)the beans are stale/old by the time they get around to use them. Best to buy small fresh qauntities that will be used in the near future.
when you order the beans, check or ask what year the crop was. it will atleast give you plenty of storage time if it is a current crop.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This is all helpful info. What do you guys consider "current"? would arrival date of June to August 2013 be too late even if stored properly? thx

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
2013 crop would be considered current.

Correct. It also depends on which origin the OP is asking about as to how long that is the correct answer; if Central Americans begin trickling in, in a month from now current crop could be available.

I, for one, don't put that much stock in current/past crop, and care more how the coffee cups.

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
I store my greens for home roasting in mason jars in a unplugged freezer for temp control. I have a few aged DP's and naturals that's going on 5 years. Wet processed I don't store for longer than 2 years.

Latest posts