Kenyan Varieties, Help!

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I have been tying to coast Kenyan beans for a couple of months and cannot, for the life of me, come close to some of the roasts I have had. I just can't bring out the "in your face fruit" aroma and flavors. My question is; How different are the beans themselves, in that, does the region play a big role in the intensity of the flavor? The good stuff I have had was roasted on a Probat 60. I am using a Behmor (I know you guys are rolling your eyes now) but I have had a lot of success with other SO coffees and coming close to what our local guys are doing with their drum roasters. Sweet Marias has a lot of their Kenyans suggested at C+ to full City but this is not doing it!

Bozo

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think the folks at Behmor are concerned that people will burn their house down. What I have found is to roast on 1 pound setting (454 grams), P3 and C for half a pound (227 grams). Then using this after hearing the second pop of first crack; City / 2:30 minutes, City+ / 2:45, Full City / 3:00, Full City+ / 3:15 to 3:30, this will get you close. Larger amounts; preheat 120 seconds with beans, drum and chaff tray, max 406 grams. I have read everything I can find and I'm more confused now than I was upon getting my Behmor a year ago, oh well. I fix PC's, what I have learned is some techs do not want anyone to know what they are doing for fear they will take their job, take mine if you wish. Ask I will help you to learn PC stuff. I find that here, for instance, "your espresso blend". DON'T TELL! I would be proud for you to have my blend and I have posted over 250 on RoasterThing for anyone to try. Oh well I'll get off of my soap box and stand in the corner, I just don't understand, Bozo

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate the input. Since the post I have taken a few batches each darker until about FC+. None are outstanding and I think that I am expecting too much from these beans. I roasted 1 lb (in 3 separate batches) of a Sweet Maria's Kenyan AB thinking it was the beans. I did not take them dark enough but their flavor and aroma, also were not close to the local roaster in town. I guess some varieties are less fruit forward. Ive got the "wine-like" acidity but has not been "juicy" like I want. I just want to know if it is a drum roaster I need to impart the qualities I am looking for?

kboom1

Nov 27, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Visit site
even though the behmor is listed as a 1lb roaster it is more realistic to keep batches under 12oz. (usually the sweet spot) to have more control over profiles and roast times. Make sure to check your voltage when roasting 121-118 is best for the Behmor. Any thing lower and you will have to lower your charge.

Ronc23

Oct 1, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
I would typically roast 12-14oz max at the 1lb setting. I'll warm up the roaster first by running it at 1/4 batch setting and letting it cool until 5 minutes left. This would help to get the roast to 2nd crack.

lovethatcoffee

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
thanks. I have roasted 4-12 oz sized batches in the behmor. The larger the batch the longer it takes (obviously). I tend to roast 6-8 oz at a time as that gets me to 1C in about 9-12 minutes roughly and I do get into 2C. I never have trouble with the progression of the roast. I just can't deviate out side of the programed profiles besides varying the batch size. I would like to be able to alter the temp after 1C to see if this would change the flavors. How much temp alteration/variation happens in a drum/fluid bed roaster, and, is this the real secret to success?

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
That's a great idea with the retrofit. Interested to hear what the new capabilities will be.

Wasn't it somebody here who suggested tipping the Behmor back just a little to put the drum a touch more over the heating elements? Also, are you taking the drum out of the roaster and shaking it in a cool place (outdoors), as SOON as you hit cool? It's a fundamental flaw with the Behmor that you can't dump the batch at finish, so you really need to remove the drum yourself to get your beans cool within that 3-4 minute window.