The next bean

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
All,
I have been roasting the Yergacheffe in both a medium and dark roast, as my first offerings for Shellback Coffee. It has been a big hit, popular for its smoothness and clean fruity taste (sorry for the clumsy cupping terms). Any suggestions for the follow-on bean? I would like another fresh, even floral profile, in order to keep with my current "brand". As I am producing only small batches, I'm not ready to carry more than one bean at a time, so I need a bean with good quality but broad appeal. I was thinking Guatemala, but am open to suggestions. I know there are great variations within each country...what are you enjoying now?

Thanks,
Freeman

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
You might have a hard time finding a great Guat right now. They'll be trickling in soon, but everything I've seen on the importer's offering lists are picked over from last year's crop.

Unless you think your customers will not understand you following up w/ another Yirgacheffe, you might just look for one and roast it light, as a way to showcase the differences even from the same region.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Thanks Peter, I didn't check the harvest dates on the beans I reviewed. I'm really looking to please myself, and I was looking for some new tastes. I love the Yirg and would have no trouble roasting that some more. And the customers seem well pleased with it. Any good beans that are just rolling in now?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I doubt you find another light, bright, floral bean like the Yirgacheffe unless you go with another african. Maybe a Kenyan?

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Yes, I was looking at the Kenyans as well. maybe I just need to trust my customers and try something new. I did like the PNG bean I cupped a while back, and many of my friends say they like the Sumatra.

Bardo

May 13, 2013
Port Republic, MD
Visit site
Update: I went with a Guatemalan bean from Huehuetenango, the Finca is called Huixoc. This year's harvest and I love the bean, as do my customers! A bit earthier than the Yirg but with more "bottom" to the cup.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
Papua New Guinea - partially washed or naturally processed has floral and fruity aroma and taste. A very nice coffee. As stated above Guat is hard to get right now and the price reflect it. Maybe you want to try a Coasta Rica bean