Fresh Roasted Kona

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
My son and daughter-in-law are in Hawaii for their belated honeymoon. He texted me this morning and said,
"Dad fresh roasted Kona is $38.00lb."! I think he expected it to be a little bit cheaper there.
Oh, there is a tourist born every minute! It has been 10 years since I bought any green extra fancy Kona
to roast for myself and friends. I think I paid about $10.50lb. shipping included.

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
everything in Hawaii is expensive, even their own products. i spent 2 weeks in Maui on my honeymoon in a villa. went to the grocery store to buy food and couldn't get over the price of Lay's potato chips. i do however remember getting very good "complimentary" coffee in the villa :coffee:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I can get Extra fancy for about $17.50 green. I remember the first time I roasted it. I was so nervous. Stuff retailed for 17.99 a lb. I took home a sample of my roast and put it in a french press. It was HORRIBLE. It was sour! I was so worried my boss was going to kill me so I hid the coffee till I could figure out what went wrong. Went home the next day and my (now) ex wife was making tea in my french press....went to work and tried the coffee again...no issues..sigh. Tea and coffee do not mix.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Where do you find green Kona coffee online? I am a sucker for Sweet Maria's and don't know other sites for home roasting that I trust...

I know several people who have worked directly with this grower, Lions Gate Farms; https://www.coffeeofkona.com/green-kona-beans/

I think it was Suzanne who owned the farm, and everyone said she was a delight to work with and was happy with the beans.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
There are tons of good green bean sellers out there.
Sweet Maria is good company but they are very expensive.
I sometimes buy coffee from Bhodi lief coffee. They are good but there are tons more out there.