Bold Beans

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
not just african coffees, but i believe that any coffee from any country can be roasted medium to dark.
for me, I do not know exactly which country/coffee is very well suited for medium/dark roast.

http://www.roastmagazine.com/resour...e-Descriptors/Roast_NovDec10_SayingCoffee.pdf

please check above link. and go down to the last page.
In Roast color chart, you will notice that as you roast darker, something will be lost and some other things will be gained.
this is a good chart to understand what type of roasting does to the coffee bean's flavors, body...etc

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
BTW, speaking for dark beans, many specialty roasters & producers are experimenting with semi-dried coffee (mainly from Brazil, Ethiopia, Sumatra & Costa Rica) because it offers less acidity, more body and sweetness which is great for espresso.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
By "semi-dried" I suspect you're referring to PN (pulped natural as it's called in Brazil) or "honey" / "miel" (the spanish word for honey). This method of processing the beans has been around for a long time, and does well at all stages of roast levels.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
By "semi-dried" I suspect you're referring to PN (pulped natural as it's called in Brazil) or "honey" / "miel" (the spanish word for honey). This method of processing the beans has been around for a long time, and does well at all stages of roast levels.

yes, exactly. Honey process, they call it in Guatemala. as you know, it is not at all common process in Guatemala (well... I only know Guatemala well because of our company and I visit there quite often. Never been to Brazil farm though...) but some of our customers (eastern Europeans mostly) ask couple of specialty farm to do honey process for certain lots (less than 100 bags) following season. Less acidity, but sweeter and more body than wet process. FYI, a lot of labor work to do it, so pricing is higher than wet processed same bean.