Which Starbucks whole beans for a mocha latte?

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a Starbucks whole bean for making a mocha latte? I would assume a dark roast so that the coffee flavor can push through the chocolate taste?

Up Date: A major problem for us poor folks who have limited budgets is the lack of small samples of beans. I mean, I would pay for a variety pack of beans so I could try them out then buy what I liked. I settled on Starbucks Sumatra Dark Roasted which is less acidic.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Can anyone suggest a Starbucks whole bean for making a mocha latte? I would assume a dark roast so that the coffee flavor can push through the chocolate taste?

From what I've read, when you first joined the Coffee Forum, you were buying coffee from Sam's warehouse club, then you went to a local roaster, and now you're looking for Starbucks coffee to make mocha lattes.

You won't find too many people on this Forum who use Starbucks coffee for espresso based drinks. You may get responses with suggestions for other coffees to use instead.

Have you explored their coffee descriptions on their website? You may be able to find an espresso blend that they sell for home espresso machines. Keep in mind that Starbucks roasts their coffee dark.

Rose

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
From what I've read, when you first joined the Coffee Forum, you were buying coffee from Sam's warehouse club, then you went to a local roaster, and now you're looking for Starbucks coffee to make mocha lattes.

You won't find too many people on this Forum who use Starbucks coffee for espresso based drinks. You may get responses with suggestions for other coffees to use instead.

Have you explored their coffee descriptions on their website? You may be able to find an espresso blend that they sell for home espresso machines. Keep in mind that Starbucks roasts their coffee dark.

Rose

I had a great in town coffee shop/roaster who got me just what I liked, then they went out of business. But the beans were too expensive for me, not bad beans but cost prohibitive in the long run. It's just me drinking the coffee so when I buy 12-16 oz, it lasts a long time, so if I try/buy a new brand in my search, I'm stuck with it until its gone. I drink about 1 a day.

I found this on another website, is it accurate in your opinion? "Milds are the arabica beans from plants grown at high altitudes. These produce the best coffee and are what you should always use for espresso." from; Buying coffee beans | Espresso Guy

If that statement is true, how can I tell from a package if that's what I'm getting? I don't want to do mail order so I can keep costs down, I want to find locally and hoped Starbucks had some of this.

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
mawil

There are options of buying on line and having it shipped to you. There are plenty of roasters that will ship to your door such as Center Stage Coffee.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
So, you don't have any other local roasters in your area?

It sounds like you should plan a visit to your local Starbucks (during a quiet time) and talk to them about what you're looking for.

They have a blend for espresso based drinks. Maybe you can buy it when you go there.
Starbucks® Espresso Roast Whole Bean | Starbucks Store

There's one local roaster I tried a few months ago, they were about 25 miles away, anyway, tried their two suggestions and wasn't happy with them. There are at least two Starbucks in town and they sell in a few grocery stores. I'm just getting tired of 'The Search' and wasted money, don't want perfection, just a reasonable and consistent supply, my go to has been a preground called Bustello, its a wee bit too dark-strong-slightly harsh, and I have a grinder and have been trying to step it up as I really enjoyed the beans from the out of business coffee shop, but that was $7 for a quarter pound! I had only about 3/4 pound about the time the went out of business. Since I typically only do a mocha latte, back tones and subtle flavors mean little, just like a rich 'coffee' flavor which is smooth and not acidic, which I ran into once. Back to Starbucks, I don't think that a Starbucks employee in this small town actually knows that much to recommend, that's my guess. Which I why I came here hoping to find someone that may have tried a SB bean and found a decent one.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
mawil

There are options of buying on line and having it shipped to you. There are plenty of roasters that will ship to your door such as Center Stage Coffee.

It's just too much wasted time and a big chunk of money in my experience to experiment by mail. Bad enough I lost money locally buying beans only to find out I didn't like them at all. I bought one brand once from Sam's club that at one time was OK then the next time so badly burned I honestly had to throw them out, the smell was soo strong and harsh it made me feel like I was gonna have an asthma attack and I don't have asthma!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't think that a Starbucks employee in this small town actually knows that much to recommend, that's my guess. Which I why I came here hoping to find someone that may have tried a SB bean and found a decent one.

The actrivity on the Coffee Forum is traditionally slow on weekends. If you don't get a response to your questions right away, you probably will in a day or so.

Starbucks coffee isn't popular here, but I recall that we have several members who are okay with it. Maybe one of them will give you some suggestions.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
So, you don't have any other local roasters in your area?

It sounds like you should plan a visit to your local Starbucks (during a quiet time) and talk to them about what you're looking for.

They have a blend for espresso based drinks. Maybe you can buy it when you go there.
Starbucks® Espresso Roast Whole Bean | Starbucks Store

I looked at their web site and noticed, Caffe' Verona, which sounded interesting, I'll see if they have it in their local store to try out before buying the beans.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I looked at their web site and noticed, Caffe' Verona, which sounded interesting, I'll see if they have it in their local store to try out before buying the beans.

Even though I've never been a fan of Charbux I will say the Verona is excellent for French press. Never tried it for espresso as I've never found it fresh enough to even bother, but would expect it to be quite good in a milk based drink if that is your thing. Actually first tried the Verona when I found a 32 oz. Bodum press at the local Charbux kiosk for only $6, which was a STEAL. I've tried half a dozen different coffee varieties in the press, but still find the Verona to be among the best for what I like.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I received a gift basket last Christmas, and a bag of Starbucks Verona beans was included. I was surprised that it actually turned out decent (freshly ground and drip brewed). I don't buy Starbucks coffee, but when I receive some as a gift, it gets used.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I received a gift basket last Christmas, and a bag of Starbucks Verona beans was included. I was surprised that it actually turned out decent (freshly ground and drip brewed). I don't buy Starbucks coffee, but when I receive some as a gift, it gets used.

I agree, I stay away from Starbucks for the most part. I'm pretty lucky here because there are a couple of places locally where they roast and ship coffee as ordered so it's pretty fresh when I get it. Usually the day after it's roasted. I tend to get a pound of a dark roast Columbian and a pound of a medium roast, either a Brazilian or Guatemalan (usually) and mix them 50/50 which gives me a blend that I like. I usually drink it black but it should make a pretty decent latte.