Homemade knockbox idea

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
The link with the plastic container, in my opinion, will not hold up in the long run. Nice exotic wood with some stainless would be appealing on an espresso bar

Last edited:

RayTCoffeePro

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Chast, thanks for your opinion...

I was worried the plastic ones wouldnt hold up to the knocking using a pf.....

I was thinking gridensteins,

But in the long run, i thought it was fulfiling to actually build one...

Have some DIY fun for once, ;)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
depending on the wood, many coats of linseed oil should work. also brings out the highlights of the grain. if you are into that sort of thing!!

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
That will be strong enough!! look into getting a piece of ABS for the rod. Won't need the plastic covering. Looking forward to see the complete project!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
My first knockbox was a decent sized Tupperware type bowl in which I drilled a hole near the top in each side and inserted a wooden dowel, which was actually a wood handled spoon cut to fit. Cheap, easy to empty/clean and looked just fine for what it was.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
My first knockbox was a decent sized Tupperware type bowl in which I drilled a hole near the top in each side and inserted a wooden dowel, which was actually a wood handled spoon cut to fit. Cheap, easy to empty/clean and looked just fine for what it was.

That's interesting. When I read this thread, I wondered why anyone would want to spend the time or money to make a fancy knockbox. To me, it's kinda like a trash can. Fancy isn't important, but functional is.

If I were ever inclined to buy a home espresso machine, I'd also try to create something from whatever I had laying around the house. The Tupperware container with the wooden spoon was a great idea. And it worked!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
knockbox3.jpg

Pretty much like this, except mine was a bit larger. Adding fuel hose (or similar semi-rigid tubing) is fine for a bit of added shock absorption, but I didn't find it necessary (at home) as the wood handle was soft enough. **Yes I said fuel hose as that is what I used (new of course) to cover the dowels in commercial knock boxes as it stands up to heavy use due to the nylon reinforcement.

Some use PVC pipe among other materials for knock boxes, but like you said, they are really nothing more than glorified trash cans. With things I had lying around I made mine for just a few $ at most.

FWIW knock boxes are like tampers... many people go all out to get the most intricately crafted tamper with whatever exotic wood is available as if it really matters. As long as a tamper fits the basket properly and has a bit of heft to it that is all that matters IMBHO. I always choose function over form as I strive to impress NOBODY. Let the espresso do the talking, not all the shiny bits most overpay for.

Last edited:

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I'm always making stuff, and have a ton of what others would call junk laying around, just so I have an arsenal of goodies to choose from for a project. But when it comes to a knock box, I'd rather plunk down $25 for a stainless unit w/ rubber-covered edges and knock-rod. It'll outlast me, and looks better next to the grinder and machine. Why would someone spend $4K on the equipment, only to put some tupperware next it.

I know, shadow's going to ask why would anyone spend $4K on the equipment in the first place, but that's another story for another thread.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Why would someone spend $4K on the equipment, only to put some tupperware next it.

I know, shadow's going to ask why would anyone spend $4K on the equipment in the first place, but that's another story for another thread.

Shadow's not the only one who would wonder about that. Did you really spend $4K on your equipment for home use? Another story for another thread, please.

Rose

Latest posts