Purchasing from Atlas

docdvm

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone purchase just 1 bag from Atlas and then distribute up to 15 pounds to individuals like at GreenCoffeeBuyingClub. I find that getting just 15 pounds at a time is more expensive and you really don't develop varied profiles. A Bag of 120 pounds is too much for my personal use where 30 to 50 pounds would be plenty. That way I can roast the same coffee for a few months for our use with a total of 3 or 4 different beans per year. I vacuum seal small lots for personal use and find that the coffee that I have stored 3 years, when opened seems very fresh. You know the aroma of the beans when you open the bag.
So would it make sense to order 1 bag 3 or 4 times a year from Atlas and then Distribute 80 pounds every 3 or 4 months.
What would be the cost of the coffee per pound on average. I know that it is calculated as a spot price but from your experience how much does in usually cost per pound?
What is the markup if I vacuum seal and mail to Canadian home roasters? On average?
Canadians pay more shipping fees and there is no duty on green coffee. Are there any regulations governing importation of green coffee?

BoldJava

Jul 29, 2006
St Paul, Minnesota
Visit site
What would be the cost of the coffee per pound on average. I know that it is calculated as a spot price but from your experience how much does in usually cost per pound?

Doc, take Peter or my recent distro's, back out $.50/lb, 3% for PayPal and the US post/ins to Canada. You will have a good handle on current micro-lot prices.

Don't forget the shipping to Ottawa area. That one bag fee will kill you. If you are going this route, try Royal NY. Any online broker quote will give you an estimate for shipping from NYC/New Jersey to you. Just make sure of your cupping evaluation. Suggest not buying on brokers' notes. That's a lot of coffee.

Take a look at CoffeeShrub (I trust their cupping notes) or Invalsa. Invalsa is in Boston. New crop from Bolivia due in Dec/Jan and as well, they have 33/66 lb bags.