Question about a coffee bean order I just received

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, I just received an order of coffee beans from one of the two local roasters that I normally use and something seems off to me.
I received a lb of Colombian Supremo and a lb of Brazilian. My possible issue is with the Colombian. Please see the picture. The beans on the left are from this order and the beans on the right are from my previous order.

baq0mTG.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the picture but the beans on the left are not as dark or as oily as I would expect.

I'm pretty new at this and was just wondering if anyone had any comments? I'm going to give the roaster a call as well but thought I'd check here.

Thanks
Carson

Attachments

• Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 298

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
previous order from when? The beans from a dark roast will get oilier as time go on. Wait a week and see what happens

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
The beans from my last order looked almost exactly like that when I received them, they may have changed but not appreciably.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Looks like the same coffee to me...just one seems darker. I wouldn't assume that they are trying to pull a fast one... What size roaster are they using and how long have they been roasting. The real question is how do they taste?

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to suggest they were trying to pull a fast one, just suspect a mistake. I think they sent me 2 lbs of Brazilian. I have a call into them, hope to talk to them today.

Nucer

Aug 6, 2014
Benbrook, Texas
Visit site
I always wonder why people think that oily coffee is good? You can taste the beans or taste the roast. I prefer the beans so I roasted to a lighter side. To roast real dark is to lose the uniqueness of the beans. In other words Charbucks, coffee that no matter where it comes from will taste the same. Add lots of milk to a heavily roasted coffee and maybe it will be drinkable. I have convinced many people to see that coffee is more than Charbucks.

(sorry to see oily coffee)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
What makes you to believe that one is Brazil? How did it differ in taste? Could the taste be different due the roast not the coffee?

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
a. right one looks like Agtron 35 (shinny surface end of 2nd crack. bittersweet with acidity fully muted) left is like Agtron 45 (50% to 70% into 2nd crack. acidity muted)
you should ask them about agtron scale of roasting for trhe left and right one.

b. also, check the roasted date of new one. it should say on the bag. if does not, need to ask.

c. Colombian supremo is excellent coffee. however, how are you going to use this coffee for yourself? how are you going to prepare your coffee? I am asking because they are rather roasted very dark, specially the previous right one.

thanks
alex from ensoluna

southernroaster

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I've always been taught that a more oily bean is an older bean. As someone previously said, as time goes the bean get more oil accumulation in the outside. So most definitely the beans to the left are older. The color difference could indicate that the previous order was roasted a bit longer than the new order.

Coffeefix

Dec 17, 2014
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hard to tell from the photo.
I would give them some time, a change in the weather/temperature could see the dry beans become oily and at the same time appear darker...
Either way, I like espresso and they look a little too dark for my liking.

flphotog

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I talked to someone at the roaster today and didn't make much progress. Made a cup of coffee this afternoon with the new batch and it was like drinking dishwater so I'm going to take a sample over to them tomorrow and talk to them in person. If that doesn't work there are other roasters in the area that I can switch to.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
And also these beans are not single origin beans. They are blend of some sort. There are huge irregularity in size of each beans and most of the decent single origin beans would have very uniform in size after the roasting as well. Also different type of beans would have different roasting profile. Some beans will have more visible oils on the surface after the roast. So these could be two different type of blends. But they are NOT single origin beans.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
I talked to someone at the roaster today and didn't make much progress. Made a cup of coffee this afternoon with the new batch and it was like drinking dishwater so I'm going to take a sample over to them tomorrow and talk to them in person. If that doesn't work there are other roasters in the area that I can switch to.

Your must love very dark roasted beans. One on the left is more of medium roast then dark. If you do not like the taste of medium roast beans, you will not like them.

Last edited: