How Do i Slow roast Coffee beans?

dodi90

Feb 21, 2015
Visit site
How would i slow roast coffee beans in an oven at 200 degrees can i do that?

Thanks
thanks.png

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
if you do it in an oven, you will have to move the beans around to avoid scorching the side contacting your beans. have you tried the stovetop method? that can produce decent results. you will also have better control.

ZChipp

Aug 1, 2015
Yorkshire, UK
Visit site
Hello!

I have done some experiments with this too, (Im from the UK so everything will be Oc not Of, sorry to confuse!)

So my first oven roast experiment i ended up with a fairly dark roast by accident but it also held a diffrent taste profile to how it would have if i had done a normal dark roast with the same beans, this expriment was not exactly a slow roast but got me thinking about it more;
Pre heat electric fan oven to 180oc,
place beans in a colander on middle shelf,
first crack began around 10 mins into the roast.
Its also good to give the beans a little shake every 5 mins or so to keep an even roast and dispurse chaff.
PS. Oven gloves are essential!

Another experiment I tried after was a real slow roasting in the oven,
Same principles only this time i set the oven to 75oc.

It took about an hour and half for first crack to appear and then i kept roasting for another 40 mins.
The end result was just what you would expect from a medium roast bean.

Overall, as far as a taste difference goes i havent found any pros to roasting in an oven compared to my normal roast.

But it is fun :D

MasterKraus

Apr 27, 2017
Claymont, DE (USA)
Visit site
Hey dodi90,

I roast in my oven using a perforated Pizza tray. The perforation allows for airflow, so I don't get scorched beans. For my oven (results vary, of course), I start out at 450F and work my way up to 510F by the end of the roast. My guess is that actual temperatures are a bit less than my oven reads out. The whole process takes about 30 minutes, and the result is very full in flavor. As long as I don't go too far past the second crack, I don't get burnt beans and the overall roast is fairly even. It helps if I take out the beans every 4 minutes or so and just let them breathe a bit.

Hope that helps! Good luck to you.

-Chris

Latest posts