Espresso Blend using Bodhi selection

jrojas576

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys can anyone recommend an espresso blend based on Bodhi leaf traders website (their green beans),
not an extremely complex one but more of one to practice creating and learn from. I have been reading quite
a bit on creating espresso blends and I would like to have a starting point on a simple one and work my way
up to creating more complex blends on my own without someone telling me. So if you can come up with one
that is rather sample yet tasty and not post any complex ones that I should figure out on my own once I get the basics
of blending that would be great!

Thanks guys!:coffee:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
here is simple guide line for you.

1. SWEETER / SHARPER & AROMATIC BLEND : try to add some Guatemala/Costa Rica coffee (about 30%)

2. SWEETNESS WITH MORE BODY : add clean Indonesian (good Sumatra / Sulawesi) about 50%. But you will lose "sharpness"

3. PUNGENCY WITH EARTHY BITE : Add Natural Ethiopean (about 30%). Harar will give you brighter, aromatic with fruitiness/ferment flavors. Sidamo will offer you greater pungency, specially in dark roast. but fruitier in lighter roasts.

4. PUNGENT/SPICY : add Yemen coffee. this will add ferment with good crema. about 40%

5. OVER THE TOP BITE : go for Aged coffee, monsoon. they will give you funky flavors which either you will love or loath. about 20%

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
5. OVER THE TOP BITE : go for Aged coffee, monsoon. they will give you funky flavors which either you will love or loath. about 20%

I'll never forget the day when I wanted to try something "different," and I bought some Monsooned Malabar coffee beans. After tasting the coffee, I instantly became one of the people who loath the funky flavor of monsooned coffee. The rest of the bag ended up in my garden, where I used them to fertilize my rose bushes. They loved it!

JumpinJakJava

Dec 12, 2011
Thomaston, CT
Visit site
I'll never forget the day when I wanted to try something "different," and I bought some Monsooned Malabar coffee beans. After tasting the coffee, I instantly became one of the people who loath the funky flavor of monsooned coffee. The rest of the bag ended up in my garden, where I used them to fertilize my rose bushes. They loved it!

I was wondering what degree of roast(if you remember) was the malabar taken to?
When I roast it, I take it to full city+, let it rest at least 4 days. I found a very nutty taste, which I enjoyed.
IMHO, I found the coffee peaked at 14 days after roast, seems it needed aging past roast as well as pre-roast.
I was impressed with it as espresso also, SO, no blending, nice smooth shot, more crema than I expected.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I purchased the roasted beans from my local roaster, and I didn't pay attention to the degree of roast. However, I know for sure that it wasn't a dark roast, because I try to stay away from dark roasted coffee.