How to measure quality of espresso beans?

mikemdt

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I'm researching for an article I'm writing as a freelancer. I'm looking for information on how to measure the quality of espresso beans. What should I be looking at? Taste of course, but what specifically? Taste, aroma, color, etc? Please help! I want to try to explain in qualitative terms how to find the best espresso beans! Thanks!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Look at the SCAA cupping guidelines... that will cover the basics. Espresso is simply a blend of coffee beans.. not a specific type of bean.

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi, how to find the best espresso beans! Thanks!

Espresso beans are used for "blends". so in order to find the best beans....

a. you need to decide what kind of "blends" you want. ex. sweet, more body, fruity, earthy...etc

b. then, depends on the Flavors you want, you need to choose the right coffee beans from right coffee origin countries and what kind of "processed" beans (Wet process, Dry process, wet-hulled process, honey process...etc)

c. No one uses espresso beans over 85 points (SCAA cupping scores) due to cost. So, forget about specialty / micro lot coffees.

d. Try to look for 82 to 84 points, COMMERCIAL GRADE BEANS with the distinctive flavors that you are looking to blend.

Now, you have the best espresso beans!

Last edited: