Oily Beans

boreland

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Oily Beans.JPG

I was tweaking the software on my computer controlled fluid bed roaster when things went a bit haywire. My goal was to stop the roast at around 425F for a FullCity roast, but as I got to were the beans were about 420F the air temperature suddenly ramped up to around 750F in a period of about 12 secs. The result was that the beans almost instantly developed this glistening oily coating. It all happen very quickly, but as you can see from the picture the beans did not darken appreciably or burn. They certainly did not enter second crack. This type of rapid temperature increase is likely only possible on this style of roaster.

Some people I know like oily beans. I personally do not like blackened beans. They are attractive to look at. The oily sheen is completely uniform. There is a very slight taste difference to a later batch roasted to about the same level but without the hot air blast at the end. This later batch shows no oil at all. Both made fabulous espresso. My question do they have any redeeming qualities? I'm sure I could program this into the roast profile it there was a good reason to do so. Are such beans perhaps more marketable, or do people view oily beans as being stale?

Peter