Why are all the coffee beans so small?

Alby

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I used to get Limited Edition coffee beans from around the world via Gavalia. Since Kraft Foods bought them out they've stopped selling almost all of their whole bean coffees, so I've been searching for the kind of coffee that I was accustomed to getting for the last 25 years or more. I have not had much success. One of the things that I have noticed is the size of the coffee beans being sold now, they're tiny. Has there been some type of cataclysmic happening that has caused coffee beans to miniaturize or what's the deal?

mars

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
4108d1430825799-side-side-all-different-coffee-bean-sizes-size-elephant-size-pea-1.jpg
I dont know if this helps but its cool :)

Alby

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Not really but it is kinda cool...I used to get the Maragogype beans from Gevalia it was pretty good coffee. All the beans I've seen from five different roaster are about 50% smaller than the beans I used to get with my Limited Edition Gevalia subscription.

mars;83 362 said:
View attachment 4999
I dont know if this helps but its cool :)

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Couple of questions for you ...
Is it a single origin or blend?
Are are all beans consistent in size or large mixed with smaller?
Can you snap a picture?
Does the package say specialty grade or 100 % arabica?

Alby

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Single origin. I cannot take a photo of them as I can no longer buy them from Gevalia. I was a Gevalia customer for over 25 years, much of that time I was in on their Limited Edition coffees. They were beans from around the world, they had a buyer that traveled and bought select beans from, Mexico a twelve letter word meaning "Giant Bean", Sumatra, Costa Rica, Ethiopa, Papua New Guinea and a few other places I cannot remember. Most of the beans were about 50% - 100% larger and the coffees were excellent! Kraft Foods bought Gevalia and have discontinued almost all of the whole bean coffees they sold, dumping long time customers like myself. I have been searching for palatable coffees ever since. I have found a couple of nice coffees through this forum which is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Maragogipe? If you can't get the same quality that you liked I would suggest finding an online roaster or local roaster that roasts to order...good luck ;)

slurp

Jun 24, 2014
Hollywood Fl
Visit site
I know a REALLY good online roaster :) wink wink

There is a chance that in order to reduce cost the manufacture started purchasing smaller screen size. Smaller screen size in general less money as well it does roast different and the roast profile needs to change as the beans have changed.

Alby

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
I was talking about the beans, in general, from a variety different roasters. Gevalia's beans were consistently larger than the beans I am seeing now. Unfortunatley they were bought out by a big corporation and no longer have their Limited Edition Coffees, which I enjoyed for some 20 years or more. That said I am enjoying the coffees I am getting from The Excellent Cup, thanks to PeterJSchmidt.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Not really but it is kinda cool...I used to get the Maragogype beans from Gevalia it was pretty good coffee. All the beans I've seen from five different roaster are about 50% smaller than the beans I used to get with my Limited Edition Gevalia subscription.

Glad you are enjoying Peter's coffee! I think the bean chart explains perfectly what you are experiencing. It shows the Maragogype Mexico & Guatemala along with the Pacamara's, Geisha's, and Mandheling from Indonesia. These are the large beans, but by no means represent, exclusively, all that is good about coffee, thus the small beans you've been getting. Your preference has been identified, and you've found the best roaster on the planet to roast for you, so I'd say you're all set!! Cheers!

Latest posts