Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    keep em out of the sun!

I am forced to import French Roast coffee beans from the US to Denmark, 4 x 1 lb bags at a time, 3x a year. It takes 7-14 days to get to DK and 2-10 days to get through customs, if it is not lost.

I push all the air out of each bag, duct tape them tight (leaving the air hole free) and out them in the freezer, until I open a bag. Then it goes inside a decompression can. That's the best I can do. Peet's coffee doesn't taste that bad, following this procedure.

Why Peets? I can't find any other supplier anywhere in the US or Europe, and i have tried a lot.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
    I am forced to import French Roast coffee beans from the US to Denmark, 4 x 1 lb bags at a time, 3x a year. It takes 7-14 days to get to DK and 2-10 days to get through customs, if it is not lost.

I push all the air out of each bag, duct tape them tight (leaving the air hole free) and out them in the freezer, until I open a bag. Then it goes inside a decompression can. That's the best I can do. Peet's coffee doesn't taste that bad, following this procedure.

Why Peets? I can't find any other supplier anywhere in the US or Europe, and i have tried a lot.
    If you only order 4 one-pound bags of coffee each time, maybe one of the roasters on this Coffee Forum would be able to ship coffee to you. We have lots of members who roast coffee, and they're located all over the globe.

Rose

Ade
    Quote Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post

Hi, new to the forum and an old(ish) thread I know but I thought you'd like to look up Black Cat coffee in Norway (black-cat.no). They do French roasted beans which (IMO) are great - remind me of the coffee I used to drink when I lived in Switzerland and France. Perhaps it's cheaper than importing from the US - at least it should get there quicker.

I don't particularly like their 50/50 French/Italian blend though - it tasted too bitter for me but that may have been my inept handling of it.

maybe you should try using those vacuum bags that people sell in Acehardware.

Quote Originally Posted by myCoffee View Post
    maybe you should try using those vacuum bags that people sell in Acehardware.
    No Ace Hardware in Denmark, but thanks, as I will be in the US briefly in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade View Post
    Hi, new to the forum and an old(ish) thread I know but I thought you'd like to look up Black Cat coffee in Norway (black-cat.no). They do French roasted beans which (IMO) are great - remind me of the coffee I used to drink when I lived in Switzerland and France. Perhaps it's cheaper than importing from the US - at least it should get there quicker.

I don't particularly like their 50/50 French/Italian blend though - it tasted too bitter for me but that may have been my inept handling of it.
    OK. Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Airtight Packaging

Airtight packaging usually does the trick) It's how we ship out our green coffee samples

https://brasilcafeimports.wordpress.com/

Keeping beans fresh-santa-monica-gourmet-cafe-10.jpg

Michael Sivitz received a patent in 2003 for his methodology for bean freshness. Here is a link to Google Patents and his patent. Worth reading in my opinion. As a chemist who spent most of his adult life working in the coffee business, he has my utmost respect for his insight and thoroughness in his approach to research.

Peaberry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    Michael Sivitz received a patent in 2003 for his methodology for bean freshness. Here is a link to Google Patents and his patent. Worth reading in my opinion. As a chemist who spent most of his adult life working in the coffee business, he has my utmost respect for his insight and thoroughness in his approach to research.

Peaberry
    Very interesting, Mr. Peaberry! One thing that research does for me is to confirm something I have been suspecting, but did not have the ability to test. That is, we are kidding ourselves about preserving freshness of roasted beans by storing them in their bags, squeezing excess air out, and resealing between uses. The way I understand that research is the quantity of air in the space between the beans would be sufficient for oxidation to occur, and that is without opening and re-closing the bag daily. For years, I used Airscape canisters, but finally quit fooling with them, as they are just something else to keep clean, when I came to believe the same thing about them - there was enough air trapped in them for oxidation to occur and opening the canister each day exacerbated the situation. The best method I have come up with is to buy my coffee locally, and freshly roasted, and drink it up as quickly as possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links