How do we distinguish between real coffee and fake coffee?

wscafe

This seems a very naive question. But, it is no joke here:(. The thing our company is planning to launch a new coffee product in Vietnam. And we are finding a most practical way to help our customers realize real coffee in prompt and at an ease. Something like the way we use litmus paper to recognize acid and base.
As professionals, we definitely recognize what real coffee is. However, for newbies, that could be a problem. As you may know, Vietnamese coffee consumption is currently at the first trend of coffee. That is, many local coffee drinkers don't know what is real coffee and what is fake coffee? While many local coffee roasters in Vietnam only produce fake coffee powder which are made from burnt soya beans mixed with caramel, and artificial coffee flavor.

What should we do to help our customers to distinguish between real coffee and fake coffee?

1. Should litmus paper help to recognize real coffee?
  2. Should we add a small pack of roasted coffee wholebeans into the bag of coffee powder?

Last edited:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Bob. but doesn't it mix with real coffee?
Here in Guatemala, we mix good beans with bad (defective beans) for local hotels and restaurant. but of course, it is not as good of quality as export standard, but still it is coffee.

wscafe

@Ensoluna, and Mr. Peaberry, this is very ridiculous, you see. Vietnam don't grow chicory; that's why they use soyabeans. Although Vietnam is the world's second biggest coffee producer, not many real coffees are being consumed by local coffee drinkers. I am a native Vietnamese. And usually I shouldn't mention this here. But I think that you should read this article first to see the situation: 'Coffee' makers use chemicals, soy beans, corn, no real coffee says a ThanhnienNews - a Vietnamese famous news paper.

Basically saying:
  • Fake Vietnamese coffee contains 100% burnt soyabeans (or corns - now soyabeans are more popular); caramel; bitter agent; foaming agents; artificial coffee flavors and some other chemicals. The reason which soyabeans/ corns are roasted into burnt beans (burnt roast - not dark roast or superdark roast) is to get rid of natural flavor of soya. It finally has no soya flavor and generates bitter taste. Caramel is to make a mouthfeel of thichness and helps to prevent coffee liquid from dropping too fast. That's why time for brewing fake coffee with Vietnamese dripper takes too long.
  • Fake Vietnamese coffee might start from the hard time in the past. But I think the percentage of soya/corn at the beginning was around 10% to 20% and the rest were real coffee. However, that is the past. Today, fake coffee is 100% soya beans. There are several fake brands with coffee ranging from 10% to 40% of real coffee inside.
  • I would prefer not listing out all of fake coffee brands here as in somewhat it is very sensitive. But I can guarantee you that not many coffee brands in Vietnam produce 100% real coffee even you buy it from a city of growing coffee trees. There are several coffee brands those who produce both real and fake coffee. But their production for real coffee is very small.
  • Many local Vietnamese coffee drinkers have been drunk fake coffee long enough for them to distinguish real coffee. And it is very humorous that they love and get addicted to the taste of fake coffee. When you introduce them real coffee, they will say no and tell you that you are selling fake coffee. OMG! Just consider my case. Last year I sent 2 kg of 100% real coffee to my friend in the North of Vietnam. She then promoted this real coffee to her relatives as 100% real coffee as gifts. After enjoying this real coffee, her relatives told her that she had bought fake coffee. As she believed me, she tried to convince them. But finally, she failed.

The reasons?

• In my observations, there are three main problems which cause fake coffees in Vietnam:

1. Cheap prices and high profits: Fake coffee has very low prices. The most popular and cheapest retail price is at around $2.0/ kilogram (or 40,000 VND). However, some can make it at $1.5/ kilogram. They will sell it at $4 or $5 or even more. It depends on different areas and different shops.
  2. The close and complicated relationship between coffee shop owners and fake coffee companies. Most coffee shops in Vietnam are family-owned and family-operated. The owners and fake coffee companies often have complicated credit relationship. Let's say, when you open a coffee shop, the rep of fake coffee companies will come to persuade to buy coffee (of course they will not tell you this is fake, you see) and offer a lot of beneficial supports. For example, if you buy their coffee, they will support you coffee tables, TV, glass, umbrellas, etc. You see, this is like an investment.
  3. Severe corruption. Of course, a local govermental officer can distinguish real coffee and fake coffee. It is very simple. He or she comes to the roasting sites and check. Ohh, you produce coffee? Why is there so many soya beans here? But most of the case (if I don't want to say 100% cases), they will "eat" money and go!

The market share of fake coffee?

It is difficult to have a correct figure. However, with my assumption, Ho Chi Minh city in particular has from 200 to 300 fake coffee brands in which the most dominant ones are around 50 brands. Vietnam as a whole has around 1,000 to 1,200 fake coffee brands (my assumptions). I know a brand which sell around 300 MT (in words: three hundred ton or 300 x 1,000 kgs = 300,000 kgs) per month in several districts of Ho Chi Minh and several provinces in Mekong Delta. For brands of 1 or 2 metric tons per day are many. Also, I know a brand which roasts 10 metric tons of soyabeans for every two days. Many of them are very rich and are driving luxurious cars.

Many fake coffee brands in Ho Chi Minh distribute to agents across the country. They sell nationwide and are having noticeable growth in the North when the Northerners are changing their habits from drinking tea to coffee. In rural provinces themself, there are many fake coffee brands there. They are native and often cover two or three provinces only.

Definitely, you are probably drunk fake coffees in any coffee shops in Vietnam. Last year, when I had a meeting with a foreign customer at Park Royal Hotel Saigon (4 stars), the Vietnamese Iced Coffee we drunk at that time was fake coffee.

And now, companies even export fake coffee... to Cambodia and China.

This news will tell you in more details: "Four arrested in raid targeting fake coffee", says Phnom Penh Post. For Khmer coffee lovers, please accept my apologies:(.

I know several local fake coffee brands which export 1 or 2 metric tons of fake coffee per day to Cambodia illegally.

The solutions?

1. Prevention is better than cure. It is not 100% coffee sold in Vietnam is fake coffee. But, please be aware of it. Or ask me!:)
  2. Finally, I am looking for your suggestion/ideas on how to help local coffee drinkers to recognize coffee at an ease. Please help me!

I would intend to paste some images here. But i think it would affect your passion on coffee. Therefore, if you would like to see the real pictures of fake coffee productions, just search those following keywords on Google and select Goole\\ Image.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi wscafe,

Your post is among he most thought provoking posts I've ever read on this forum. Sounds to me like Vietnam is experiencing the issues that USA went through roughly 100 years ago, the combination of greed, ambition, and little or no governmental oversight. In a way it's like the "wild west"; a phrase that is used here to describe an atmosphere of lawless, chaotic self-realization where the winners are the ones with the guts to take what they feel is there to be taken...by force if necessary. It sounds like law enforcement is trying to get the situation under control, but may lack the resources to be effective. I was particularly intrigued to learn that the fake coffee, when diluted with ice will quickly lose its color, whereas real coffee does not.

So there is your litmus test. Simply advise consumers to use the ice test to confirm they are getting the real deal. In the US, there is a play written by Eugene O'Neill titled 'The Iceman Cometh'. An ad campaign to raise awareness, if this were happening here, could be centered around this familiar phrase which has become another way to say that "the day of reckoning' has arrived. Perhaps some similar phrase or colloquialism can be found for such a campaign in Vietnam??

Peaberry

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I can't say that we faced fake coffee here in the USA in the same way as you describe the situation in Vietnam. Yes, there have been coffee substitutes, but not being represented as real coffee, just spurious claims of having advantages over real coffee that were misleading...and also false claims about real coffee too. Because of the existence of Folger's, Maxwell House, Hills Brother's, Arbuckle's, et al, the world of coffee was fairly self regulated, and I think any fake coffee would have been quickly and decidedly dealt with.

SharifAmirmoez

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
The chances of tasting real and fake coffee

I Don't know anyone can distinguish between the difference between real and fake coffee. I didn't even know there's such a thing. This is a tough one as i rally don't know how to answer this question. The only thing i can think of right now is maybe depending on how it tastes you can make the difference out.

kettlechip

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
Is it possible to fake a whole coffee bean? I'm assuming that the "fake" coffee is sold as bags of pre-ground coffee mixed with other stuff?

I guess an easy way to help people distinguish is to sell ground only, which sets you apart from the throngs of fakies. If that's not feasible, then teach them what to look for during the brewing process.

wscafe

Is it possible to fake a whole coffee bean? I'm assuming that the "fake" coffee is sold as bags of pre-ground coffee mixed with other stuff?

I guess an easy way to help people distinguish is to sell ground only, which sets you apart from the throngs of fakies. If that's not feasible, then teach them what to look for during the brewing process.
As I see, 100% fake coffee in Vietnam are being sold under ground coffee powder. Of course, it is very difficult to advertise fake coffee in the form of coffee wholebeans. In Vietnam at this time, it is quite difficult to sell coffee wholebeans as people don't want to 'invest' into a home coffee grinder. For brewing, they are familiar with one-dollar Vietnamese phin dripper only.

wscafe

I Don't know anyone can distinguish between the difference between real and fake coffee. I didn't even know there's such a thing. This is a tough one as i rally don't know how to answer this question. The only thing i can think of right now is maybe depending on how it tastes you can make the difference out.
It is in somewhat very weird, Sharif. The main point here is whether you taste real coffee first or you taste fake coffee first. In Vietnam, many current coffee drinkers taste fake coffee first and they taste it long enough for them to distinguish real coffee. I definitely believe that they will realise real coffee time by time. However, this can be long and we would like to find the shortest way to tame our customers.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
wscafe...

Again, in the article you linked to earlier, there was the statement made that adding ice to "fake" coffee would dilute the color intensity of the beverage more than with the real deal. THIS is about as good a "litmus test" as one could hope for since anyone has access to ice.

Regarding your interest in "taming" your customers quickly, my suggestion would be to speak to them quietly as if you are about to share a secret you prefer to keep confidential about using this ice trick to distinguish between fake and real coffee. Once someone is in possession of top secret information, you can rest assured that they will share it, confidentially of course, with just about everyone they know. They might even take pride on being "in-the-know", ie among the enlightened elite as it were. Once this happens, I think you will find a much higher conversion rate than you are currently seeing.

coffeecube

Mar 15, 2016
kochi
Visit site
The answer is pretty simple. Coffee has such a special type of bean which can be easily distinguish between the fake one and the pure, real one. To assure your healthiness and your taste buds.The freshly ground tastes good.