Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I may be wrong on this, but I first recall seeing a Keurig machine in the lobby of a business. Easy and convenient way of providing coffee to clients that was a huge step forward over the traditional drip maker where the coffee may have sat "cooking" for an hour before serving. Plus you could offer a selection of coffee. Break rooms across America adopted the Keurig, and provided a "first look" to consumers who later purchased for home use, or gave as gifts. The universal appeal of the Keurig may have been something that perhaps was unforseen on the scale that followed it's introduction, and proves that consumers are keen on convenience and choice, to the point that the waste created by the little devil is a significant concern.

I agree with you FC, there is no right and wrong...kind of like hamburger and steak. When I need a caffeine fix, I will drink just about anything that is available, but given the choice, other than cost, why would I not prefer something pleasing?

Peaberry

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    When I need a caffeine fix, I will drink just about anything that is available, but given the choice, other than cost, why would I not prefer something pleasing?
    Peaberry
    I agree with you Mr. Peaberry- When I want coffee just about anything will do. The coffee at my office is horrible and I drink it just about every day. Are there no other options than Keurig? I googled around a bit and all I can find is this startup called Spinn.com I don't even think this products has hit the market yet. Anyone heard of this? or better yet anyone tried one of these before?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    ...to the point that the waste created by the little devil is a significant concern.

...kind of like hamburger and steak...

Peaberry
    Mr. Peaberry,

Thank you for your feedback. I especially loved the analogy of hamburger and steak.

BTW, I've heard Keurig is coming out with a pod that recycles. Might not be perfect. But, at least they are recognizing that they have created a mess that need addressing.

Regards,
    sjmyst

Quote Originally Posted by AhhhhCoffee View Post
    ...Are there no other options than Keurig?
    My company uses something called Flavia in the breakroom. Nice machine that makes good coffee.

It uses pouches instead of pods. From what I can tell, it's not any better for our landfills than the pods. May even be worse. The pouches have a hard plastic top part that "slides in place". I don't have any research to back it up. But, those hard plastic tops seem like they might last in a landfill longer than an empty Keurig pod.

Although, likely neither of us will live to find out which one disintegrates first!

Regards,
    sjmyst

Thanks for the information sjmyst

My last K cup of coffee came when some told me about the mold growing in their Keurig. It was time to get serious about coffee again.

I bought 72 iFillcups to pre-fill my local fresh roasted coffee for $20 on Amazon.

I bought 72 iFillcups to pre-fill my local fresh roasted coffee for $20 on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmyst View Post
    Hi,

I blog for a coffee bean web site. So, I've done a fair amount of research about various coffee beans grown all over the world.

But, lately I've been noticing that in my local grocery stores, that even though I don't typically look for coffee beans at a grocery store, it seems that the coffee aisle is 3/4 Keurig, or Keurig-like products, and 1/4 (or less) actual coffee beans.

I know that by the time a coffee bean product gets to the grocery store that it has probably lost some freshness. But, it sure seems like Keurig has taken over if you just go by what is for sale in the grocery store.

I've had a few Keurig-like cups while at work. And, they've been pretty decent.

I can imagine that most of the "coffee bean" purist that frequent this site are going to prefer their own choice of coffee bean over something from Keurig (or other "like" products).

How many of you coffee bean purist find Keurig to be anywhere close in terms of quality when compared to fresh ground coffee beans?

Do you find the same thing I find when wandering your local grocery store aisle. If so, any thoughts on why coffee beans are so "ignored" on the grocery store shelves.

Regards,
    sjmyst

I totally agree with friedcoffee. I have never enjoyed a cup of coffee brewed in a Keurig. I've had it when out and nothing else available. I don't think serious coffee lovers use a keurig. Convenience over taste.

I love my Keurig, but 99%of the time, I use my own coffee choice in my "solofill." Using 8 oz of water doesn't cause over-extraction. I use a generic K-cup if I need a quick cup running out the door.

Sent using Hello Moto

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I totally agree with friedcoffee. I have never enjoyed a cup of coffee brewed in a Keurig. I've had it when out and nothing else available. I don't think serious coffee lovers use a keurig. Convenience over taste.
    Thanks Trish for agreeing,
    It's simple, you don't have time, use Keurig or Nespresso, but if you have time and really want to have a great tasting coffee, DO SOME HARDWORK...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links