Vacuum Seal Containers for Coffee Beans

jlayne

May 10, 2016
Visit site
Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I buy 2.2 pound bags of Lavazza and am looking for a good way to store it that's airtight and preferably vacuum sealed. There's no way I can use that much coffee without it getting stale, unless I vacuum seal it in some way.

I currently have a VaccuVin system that stores only 1 pound of coffee beans at a time. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a larger vacuum seal container that would be suitable for storing 2.2 pounds at a time. I've looked on Amazon and just come across containers that are AIR TIGHT, but not ones that actually have a vacuum system to remove the air. All of those seem to be for 1.5 pounds of beans or less. Anyone know of a larger one?

Also, do you believe that using such containers actually keeps beans fresher than simply using an air tight container?

Thanks!

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Depending on how long it takes you to go through 2.2lbs...for me it would be just days, you could weigh out increments amounting to a week's usage, and freeze in airtight zip lock bags. Just allow to come to room temp before grinding, and make sure to store the beans in an area isolated as much as possible from the room air when the door is opened. Maybe put them in a small styrofoam box. Yes I know there are a lot of coffee people who have a nervous breakdown when it comes to freezing coffee. We freeze embryo's right? Just sayin'...

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I used to buy 5lb bags and break them down in FoodSaver vacuum bags... seems like the gallon size bags would hold 1-2 lbs.. Its been so long I dont recall the quantity but was a easy cheap way to seal beans up.

jlayne

May 10, 2016
Visit site
What I ended up Buying

Thank you for your input! So, here is what I ended up buying: [had to remove the link because I don't have 5 posts yet... I guess they are making sure it's not spam... so I'll include the TITLE of the item and you can look on Amazon if interested... here is the title of the item on Amazon: Vacu Vin Food Vacuum Storage Container - Large, 2.30 Liter, White

I have a smaller one that holds 1 lb of coffee, and it works well. I can go back to it a week or two later and the vacuum seal is still in place... I hear that WHOOSH sound. Hopefully this larger version works as well. The only thing I don't like about it is that the plastic is clear, which will let light into the coffee (my smaller one is dark tinted). It also will be a pain to manually pump out the air from a larger container... the one I have now takes about 30-40 pumps to get the air out, and this is twice the size. At least it will help build biceps and triceps! :)

One trick if you have these is to take some oil... vegetable oil works fine, and coat the rubber "stopper" with it, which helps it hold the seal nicely. I was glad to find this in the larger size and will let you all know how well it works!

chameleos

Aug 19, 2016
Melbourne
Visit site
As long as it is really vacuum in it, it would be fine. But I would suggest a vacuum sealer to seal beans in a bag if you are to keep them for a long time. I bought one on crazysales and used it to seal my A grade Geisha. I used some container to store Robusta beans, while they turn smelly somehow. Maybe I didn't seal it right.

KaiserJeep

Mar 6, 2016
Silicon Valley, CA
Visit site
If you have the vacuum sealer already, you can buy an attachment from the FoodSaver vacuum sealer brand that slips over the top of a Mason Jar or Ball Jar and attaches to the vacuum line. Then you just fill a clean glass jar with beans, loosely screw down the jar lid, slip the attachment over the top, and suck all the air out. The vacuum seal seemingly lasts forever, and because you didn't use the steam or boiling water method of food preservation, the one lid and rubber seal lasts forever.

You can choose regular or wide mouth jars, there are both attachment sizes available for about 20 bucks at a Target store that sells the FoodSaver line, or you could buy online.

I bought a pair of metric one liter jars each with with a single lid about 18 months ago, and have used them repeatedly to seal 1 pound of beans in each 1 liter jar. The metric lid size is actually between the American regular and widemouth sizes, but I just slip the widemouth jar attachment over the top and hold it in place for about 5 seconds as the air is pumped out by the machine. After that, the lid gets sucked down and the lid pops with a little "tink" sound just like your wife or mother were making jelly in a boiling water bath. The sealed jar works perfectly as I consume 1 lb of coffee for the first week, then open the second jar for the second pound. I use a coffee measure to scoop out 2 measures of whole beans which is what I use for either the Melitta drip coffee or Moka Espresso from the original Bialetti moka pot in the 3-shot size.

I choose to keep the sealed jar in the refrigerator (not the freezer) but room temperature storage works as well.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
For the life of me I don't know why people still use the vacuum method to attempt to preserve the freshness of whole beans. It makes no sense. Beans naturally release gasses as they age ... why attempt to accelerate the process by inducing (and attemtping to keep) a vacuum??? If I were to invent a preservation process it would be to INJECT nitrogen into the enclosed environment the beans are in to the point of expelling the oxygen which is the reactive gas that degrades bean flavors. Better yet induce a vacuum then immediately repressurize with nitrogen to outside environment pressure. Every time you reopen container to use beans, repeat process.

Len

Last edited:

KaiserJeep

Mar 6, 2016
Silicon Valley, CA
Visit site
Peanuts and coffee beans both contain food oils which can oxidize. Storing in a partial vacuum with some portion of the oxygen removed slows down the oxidation of the oils. No mystery about it, the same trick preserves both raw and cooked foods. It is the basic principle behind the vacuum sealer food preserving machines.

The dry roasted peanuts last for years until unsealed, I think they probably are vacuum packed in a jar full of nitrogen or other inert gas. Once you break the seal, they should be consumed within about two months.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I read up on the net and it said that M&Ms don't spoil. But I believe they must referencing the non peanut ones. Would the peanuts themselves get bad over time? How long I wonder?

Len

Sometimes the peanuts in the opened bag of peanut M&M's taste funny (soft and less flavorful) if the opened bag has been sitting around for too long. The outside "candy" coating gets a little smudged looking too.

I guess I should just eat them faster so they're not sitting around the house, but sometimes I'm in the mood for them, and sometimes I'm not.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Sometimes the peanuts in the opened bag of peanut M&M's taste funny (soft and less flavorful) if the opened bag has been sitting around for too long. The outside "candy" coating gets a little smudged looking too.

I guess I should just eat them faster so they're not sitting around the house, but sometimes I'm in the mood for them, and sometimes I'm not.

From what I read, moisture appears to be a major culprit in the degrading of M&M's. I bet the vacuum method would keep them alot longer. Also they don't degas like coffee beans so the vacuum would keep.

Len