FOR SALE: Coffee del Cerro Honduras

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
Hi I live in Baltimore maryland, and I brought 10 bags of coffee from the farm of my parents in Honduras that I want to sell,variety Catuli, Lempira, 1800 ASL process wet and drying in patios,if anyone is interesting in buying,this is my first time bringing coffee to the US so any little help information I can get to sell my parents coffee and make living a little better for them [email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Hi I live in Baltimore maryland, and I brought 10 bags of coffee from the farm of my parents in Honduras that I want to sell,variety Catuli, Lempira, 1800 ASL process wet and drying in patios,if anyone is interesting in buying,this is my first time bringing coffee to the US so any little help information I can get to sell my parents coffee and make living a little better for them [email protected]

hello Gigi,

how are you? I guess we are practically "neighbor" coffee farmers. I also have a coffee farm in Quetzaltenango (Zunil is the exact name of the village nearby Quetzaltenango), Guatemala. From my farm to your farm in Comayagua, Honduras is about 450 miles apart.

also, if you do not mind, let me try to verify few things with you and try to help you to sell your beans to our forum members.

A. Catuli : I do not believe there is a varietal called Catuli. do you mean "Catuai"? Also, in the region of Comayagua (I believe this is where your farm is at), Honduras, due to severe coffee rust problems for several years, they are mostly growing Catimor & Lempira. So... it might be Catimor, not Catuai or Catuli? I will appreciate it if you can recheck and let us know

B. can you tell us that these 10 bags are 2016 harvest beans? Also one bag is 100 lbs? or 150 lbs?

C. is this European export standard beans and sorted between screen size 14 and up? can you tell us the bean size/sorting sizes?

D. Have you ever had your coffee "cupped" for evaluation? Any cupping report? If your coffee varietal is Catuai (or Catimor) & Lempira, and considering the regions you are in, the maximum cupping score you can achieve is around 82 to 83 point. (mainly due to the quality of coffee varietal). It will help you greatly if you can have your coffee cupped and evaluated by an expert to determine the quality of your coffee & flavors/aroma...etc of your coffee.

E. as you know, in coffee business, no one buys any green beans unless they get samples (300 grams of green coffee) and roast and cup themselves. So, do you also offer some sample beans for members to cup?

F. lastly, if possible, some close up photos of your green beans? (and put a penny next to it in order to see the size of the beans). If possible, please take good photos, close up, under bright natural light, so that we can really see the color of the green beans. That will also help for buyers to decide.

These above information will help you to promote your coffee better among possible coffee buyers in the forum.

Good luck to you and if you have any other questions, please let me know.
Glad to help.

PS: BTW, Lempira is also Honduras currency name. (in Guatemala, we call our currency "Quetzal" which is also a name of Guatemala national bird). the coffee varietal name and coffee growing area in Honduras are also called Lempira.

Last edited:

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
Hey Alex,thanks for the information variety is catuai,lempira the harvest is from February 2016,every sacks have 150 lbs,my father had it cupping and scored 85 points about 2 years ago,but he had it mix with bourbon bean as well,and he told me was chocolate aroma,but at this point I am going to have it cupping again,the pictures I will get them next week because my coffee is coming Monday from New Jersey to my house in Baltimore.

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
image.jpegimage.jpegMaybe this will help to see the size of the beans

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
looks good Gigi.
it looks are size 13 to 17 or so. well sorted. Also by looking at the color of the beans, I can tell they are 2016 harvest.
I have few more questions for you. (not just for myself, but I believe these questions will also help you and others to determine the buying)

1. as I said, no one will buy your beans unless they cup themselves.
so, can you send me at least one pound of green beans? you can use USPS, using smallest box priority box, just fill it up in a ziplock. that is $5.95 within USA, I think. if you want, I do not mind paying for the freight charge by paypal. you can pm me your paypal info, then, I will pay you immediately. (however, most of buyers will expect you to send out the samples free of charge. For me, no problem paying for the freight).

FYI, when I send out samples from Guatemala to other countries, 300 grams of green bean freight cost (by UPS, Fedex, DHL) cost me $200 to $350 per package. Considering one labor worker in Guatemala makes about $350 per month, that is not a small cost for anyone in Guatemala.

2. I do not have a good sample roaster at home, so if you have a sample roaster, perhaps you can roast and send it over to me, rather than green bean?
many roasters, small roasters, have their business roaster, but more likely, they will not have a good sample roaster. And as you know, they can not use big business roaster to roast 300 gram of sample beans.
So, for the people who does not have sample roaster, probably, it would be better for you to roast and send them out.

3. probably, you will be able to sell your beans to small roasters, even home roasters. so if one person wants to buy one bag (150#), and if you have to send it by UPS from east coast to west coast, the freight will be very much which will definitely increase the bean cost. Have you thought about this matter?

4. if you can, please pm me your ex work pricing per one bag. and other terms and conditions that you may have.

thanks and if you have any other questions, please let me know.
Alex from Ensoluna S.A.