How to trim a coffee plant

Wally

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
CoffeePlant-500x600pxls.jpg

Hi Members,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post my question but here goes:

I've had this coffee plant/tree for quite a long time. It has grown to about 5 feet and has never produced beans/flowers. After some research, my assumption that it never produced beans is because I let it grow too high and never trimmed the plant. Three weeks ago I transplanted the plant into new healthy soil and trimmed off all the branches because they were in such sad shape from lack of sunlight. The plant has been moved outside to a shady area that receives evening sun.

Attached is a picture of the plant as it now appears. Can someone please tell me if this needs to be trimmed lower and if so how? I did learn that the bark soaks up a lot of nutrients. I do not see any new growth (branches) as of this writing and its been 3 weeks since I trimmed the plant/tree.

I was initially growing the plant to be more like a tree instead of a bush. Growing beans is not a major concern at this point. Right now my goal is to get the plant back to a healthy state. Thank you.

Last edited:

namballe

Aug 24, 2012
Lima, Peru
Visit site
i would cut it down to about half that size. the reason for not producing beans or flowers, is because the plant is in a foreign environment. also, coffee plants grow best between certain altitudes.

shahrez

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey I'm pretty sure that local universities have agricultural departments that really love to help out with this kind of stuff. They might be the best people to ask to start out with.
**Discretion is advised**

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
cut about 10 inches off the ground.
that is what we do in our Guatemala coffee farm. When coffee tree gets old, about 15 years and produce much less beans, we cut the trees about 10" off the ground. then, it will re-grow and be able to harvest in 3 to 4 years of time.

however, since your tree never had any flowers, not sure whether that will work.
anyway, cut and fertilize the soil and see what happens.