Indoor Coffee Plant Question

Rudds

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Good morning, new to the forum and not entirely sure if i have a problem or just need to deal with it!

Ive had my plant for about 4 years and it has grown well it has been indoors its entire life in not so tropical rhode island.

Plant stands about 36 inches tall, it flowers, it creates cherries, it gives me beans ( about half a pound) that i roast as a novelty.

My problem is that every plant i see on line stands tall, mine has a tomatoe cage around it and if i remove the cage the entire plant falls over the pot. It seem as though the stems are too thin or too flimsy. Not sure what i can do or if i just have to deal. It has brcome a pain because the interior is so thick its getting hard to prune or remove leaves and cherries in the center.

Water with warm water, spray with spritzer daily to increase humidity, and use organic miracle grow once a week.

LrMobile2506-2016-1059265975581116015.jpeg

Attachments

• LrMobile2506-2016-1033266009445680156.jpeg
    LrMobile2506-2016-1033266009445680156.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 882
  • 20161017_152107.jpg
    20161017_152107.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 364

Lemy

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't know if this applies to coffee plants, but farmers who grow particular crops in tents or enclosed environments will use fans to simulate the natural wind. If they do not then the plants will grow tall and spindly. I personally experienced this with using a grow tent to start peppers and tomatoes. They would grow all tall and spindly toward the light source, but when the leaves started to fill in the trunks could not support the weight. Again, I do not know if this same principle applies, but it may be worth a try.

I have a coffee plant I have been growing for 5 years and this is the first year it actually produced fruit.
coffee beans.jpg

Rudds

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Sure! When the cherries are ripe and solid red or atleast 95% red, twist them of the plant. This leaves a small hole on one end. Flip it over and squeeze and both "beans" pop right out.

Next put the beans in a bowl of water for 2- 3 days to ferment. (The water is going to look nasty!) This softens the outer layer. You can now rub them between your hands to get most of outer layer off.

Lay all the beans out on a tray or cookie sheet and place in a sunny window. Check periodically and when you start to notice small cracks in the bean then the majority of the moisture is out. ( this step can take anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks, for me usually about a week)

Now jar or bag your beans until ready to roast!

Rudds

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Also if you have a nice dehydrator that can be set below 110 degrees you can dry them in there instead of possibly waiting weeks in the sun. Just keep an eye on them.