Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavalia Coffee

Re: Gavalia Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeLover
    [ I'm half tempted to try their coffee and would like to know if anyone here has tried the Gourmet Gavalia Coffee.
    The coffee is mediocre at best. It is not very fresh.

Gevalia Coffee

I HAVE tried Gevalia coffee many times in the past, and, as a dark roast coffee lover, I find nothing that Gevalia offers to satisfy me. I do not like the Scandinavian style aftertaste that Gevalia has... SO, I wouldn't recommend them, but you might like it if you like that Scand. style and you are not a really dark roast coffee fan!
    Bill Ahlman
    billahlman@juno.com

Gevalia

In Consumer Reports review of coffees, the Gevalia came in second to
    Gloria Jean's Columbian beans:

Gevalia Kaffe Select Varietal Colombia 5.95 + 8.0 17 Strong floral-fruity and very low earthy notes.

Personnally, I've never had Gevalia or Gloria Jean's.

Super Moderator
    Personally I believe it is best to buy from a local roaster in small amounts. To buy coffee that is roasted half way around the world...you really don't know how long it sat in the roasters warehouse...then how long it takes to ship it and sits in yet another warehouse then the time to get it in your hands...that coffee could be anywhere from a month or older. I also like the old saying that nothing in life is free...
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

I've had greater coffee then Gevalia, which is cheaper as well.
    Gevalia is not worthy of the price, but that's just my opinion.

What's better than Gelavia?

Quote Originally Posted by Emil
    I've had greater coffee then Gevalia, which is cheaper as well.
    Gevalia is not worthy of the price, but that's just my opinion.
    Which coffees, specifically, did you like better?

Thanks.
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love." -- Turkish Proverb

Gevalia

O.K. Let's be honest. Most people try this coffee to get the freebie, then stop ordering. I've tried this coffee a couple of times before only because I was a guest at someone's dinner and they were proud to serve it in their new decanter set they received with their order. When I was asked what I thought of the coffee, I had to be honest with them. They understood, especially because they know I'm a roaster. Since then they've learned their lesson. They order from me every now and then.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

Coffee Guy, when your honest with them what do you tell them, what are your feelings about this coffee itself.

During dessert (German Chocolate Cake) they had served Gevalia, Colombian. I usually take a sip before tasting desserts so I don't retard the taste of the coffee. Although this was not a cupping. I had noticed a sort of citrus aftertaste when sipping this coffee. I did not know at first that this was Gevalia, and the only way I knew was when my wife had commented on how nice the coffee accessories were. That's when the hostess said that she had gotten them when she purchased this coffee. As we were clearing the table after dessert I had asked the host how long he had this coffee and he mentioned only a couple of weeks. I then asked when they purchased it was it in whole bean form or ground? He said that it was ground. I told him that Colombian should not possess a citrus or sour after taste and asked him if his coffee equipment was clean before brewing his coffee. He assured me it was. I then told him I would send him a sample of our Colombian Supremo and if he liked it then order from me in the future. I did, and he does. He had ordered from me twice so far. My personal feeling on Gevalia's coffees are inconclusive, since this was the only time I have tasted them. For whatever reason, it was not good that evening. I don't like to pass judgement on others without them having the opportunity to correct. I've even been passed up for other coffees at times because someone else's tasted different that mine.
    "A Word of Difference"TM

I have several half-pounds of Gevalia that I was going to offer up to anyone
    that wanted to try it until I checked the date. I've had them over two years. Oops.

I remember liking them, but I did not brew my coffee as strong then as I do now. They just sent it faster than I drank it. I like their Costa Rican peaberry.

Offer still stands if anyone's brave enough. You're paying the postage though!

One more thing... How do I get French press brewed coffee stronger? More coffee, finer grind, or >5 min. steep time? I'm grinding at the coarsest setting right now (as recommended).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links