Hario Syphon Coffee Maker

HUIX

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

Could anyone please recommend some coffee beans for the Hario syphon coffee maker?

I tried some beans from Kenya bought from Seven Seeds. They were nice but a bit sour for me.

Also, the cloth filter tends to put an "off" flavour to the coffee. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Henry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
If it's Kenya Kigwandi, that's a nice coffee, perhaps their best coffee, but I can see where you are coming from as I have roasted that exact coffee myself. I would need to know brewing methodology specifics to understand if there was a flaw in execution.
But I suspect their coffee is a bit on the "bright" side.

Their Honduras seems like it would be a good choice.

I would strongly disagree with the cloth filter adding an "off" flavor. And when you didn't like the outcome of the coffee, it seems like it would be hard to make that determination.

HUIX

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks John for your reply. Yes it was Kenya Kigwandi. I Iike its aroma and sweetness, but the acidity was just a little too much for me. As I am a beginner I just followed the method as described in the book "everything but espresso", roughly :) I would like to try the Honduras beans next time. I am waiting for a metal mesh filter I just purchased from online. Don't know how it will work for me.