How to alternate between grind size using the same hand grinder?

Geordiepete

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an espresso machine in my office, and I also make pour-over. I only have the one hand grinder, a Kalita KH-5, and I have it set for espresso. The grind setting is made by fiddling with a screw at the top, and this screw apparatus has to be taken apart, removing a washer, the grinding handle, and a metal bar that pins in place to fix the setting. Adjusting for espresso took me a good while of fiddling and trial and error to get the perfect setting. But of course it's way too fine for pour-over.

But now I want to swap between espresso and pour-over settings with this grinder, and don't want to buy a second grinder. Dumb question, but, does anyone remember if the top should be turned clockwise or anti-clockwise to get a coarser grind for pour-over? And does anyone else use the same hand grinder for two different grain sizes? Do you have any tips to make it easier switching?

Geordiepete

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
clockwise - tighter is finer.

counter clockwise - coarser.

Put a small dot on the inside of your grinder funnel area. After you lift the pin, count how many notches you turn past that fixed point, say 7 (just an example). and then you will know to count seven notches up or down to go between espresso and coffee.