Never have bought coffee beans

TNelson

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I have never bought coffee beans before. I remember seeing the little setups in the grocery store when I was younger. I always wondered what it would be like to pick your own and take them home and grind them up yourself. Is there any good benefits to grinding up your own coffee or is it just your personal choice?

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
The search for better coffee is a slippery slope. If you want to start down that path, there is probably nothing you can do to improve the coffee you brew at home more than sourcing quality, freshly roasted, beans, and grinding them immediately before brewing.

You know the real estate joke about the three most important things about a property being, location, location, location. Well, with coffee, like a lot things we consume, the three most important things are fresh, fresh, fresh.

One thing leads to another. To get the maximum benefit from the fancy beans mentioned above, you would need a good burr grinder. And, of course, you would want a coffeemaker capable of brewing at the correct temperature and providing the correct extraction. If that is the direction you want to go, there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here on Coffee Forums to help you find your way.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DLRuth

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
I have never bought coffee beans before. I remember seeing the little setups in the grocery store when I was younger. I always wondered what it would be like to pick your own and take them home and grind them up yourself. Is there any good benefits to grinding up your own coffee or is it just your personal choice?
There are real benefits to buying whole bean coffee. As has already been said, freshness is very important. After being ground coffee has a very short life (think minutes as opposed to hours), so any preground coffee you get from the store is most likely already past its prime. After roasting the life of coffee is about a few weeks. When you are looking for whole bean coffee you want to look for a roasted on date instead of a "use by" date so you know where it is in its life cycle. Be careful though, it's hard to go back once you make the change :) -Dan-

coffee771

Dec 29, 2016
Texas
Visit site
Buying whole coffee beans means that your beans will stay fresher for a longer amount of time. If you have a small coffee grinder at your home you can easily grind your coffee beans as you need them. There are several grinders available but look into getting a burr grinder if you do not already have a grinder. Also check to see if there is a local roaster in your area, as this will mean that you are getting the freshest beans, which will result in some great tasting coffee.

Iven

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site

Hi Nelson, Grinding our own coffee is the best choice to whom like to drink coffee with aroma and grind as the taste to want red eye expresso or normal milk coffee. buying coffee powder may have add preservatives to preserve the powder and there may chance of adding chicory. So choose the best to feel the coffee moments.