Asking about Green Bean Defect

benyo.o

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi i'm starting to roast my own coffee bean. I bought green bean from my local farm. I sorted it out and i've found several green bean that look like this

0965a6a2fcd69a89faaba8b70ca156b8.jpg

I'm searching what kind of defect is this and i'm thinking it is insect damaged bean but i'm not sure. Anyone familiar with this please help me to make sure. Thanks [emoji120]

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
If it is from Indonesia, it might be Coffee Berry Borer (CBB) whic is a black about 2 mm long beetle that bores holes thru the seeds.

Also, there is another bug that makes bean problem which is Antestia, but this bug is mostly found in Central Afria. And it discolors the beans to almost entirely black & shriveled.

benyo.o

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
If it is from Indonesia, it might be Coffee Berry Borer (CBB) whic is a black about 2 mm long beetle that bores holes thru the seeds.

Also, there is another bug that makes bean problem which is Antestia, but this bug is mostly found in Central Afria. And it discolors the beans to almost entirely black & shriveled.
Thanks dude. Is it have significant effect on coffee flavour?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Yes. Absolutely. that is considered as MAJOR defect!
one bad one will spoil whole lot.
By the way, in coffee bean sorting, there are Major and minor defects.
the beans you have is Major defect. and a broken bean is minor defect.
of course, there are a lot more, but I do not want to list everything here.
thanks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site

Wouldn't CBB's typically be distinct holes? That's why I was thinking it was pulped vs insect..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

benyo.o

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
here is insect damaged been photo.

View attachment 6887
It is different from the tiny hole in my bean. From your picture there is no color change around the hole. But in my bean there is a slight brown to black color change in small area around the hole. So maybe there are possibilities that the hole happened due to pulping procces?
Maybe i will visit my local farmer again to make sure of it