Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    ...since you will be doing with Chemex for all beans, and because the Geisha was roasted mainly for "cupping purpose", If you want to do it with Chemex, you have to grind the Geisha bit finer than normal Chemex ground. So, basically, please make it bit finer ground for Geisha than other two.
    Good catch! Glad you told me this as I would not have known.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudzu View Post
    Good catch! Glad you told me this as I would not have known.
    Yup! "helping" & "learning"... this is what this forum is all about!

Finally going home tomorrow morning.... Been here two month, in a tiny rented room ($8 per day), mainly eating fruits and vegies for two month (since using kitchen is bit difficult), lost 8 pounds (which is a great thing for me).. but it is time to go.

I am leaving from Quetzaltenango to Antigua today and deliver some coffee to my Antigua retail friend, got couple of coffee farm meetings and tomorrow morning, get up at 3 am and leave to Guatemala city airport. 7 am Delta flight!

I just can not wait to go back home to see my family and friends!!!!!

By Saturday or Monday, YOUR COFFEE WILL BE IN THE MAIL! I will send it by a registered mail, so you can track it. I will pm tracking # for you.
    Last edited by ensoluna; 03-30-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Alex, in an earlier post you cautioned about using good water and proper ratio. For these special coffees I will use bottled water, rather than the filtered tap water that I usually use. The ratio I usually use is 16:1, but I have recently seen some recommended quantities of water to coffee that work out to only 13 or 13.5 to 1. What ratio would you recommend for these coffees?
    Last edited by Kudzu; 03-30-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Alex, in an earlier post you cautioned about using good water and proper ratio. For these special coffees I will used bottled water, rather than the filtered tap water that I usually use. The ratio I usually use is 16:1, but I have recently seen some recommended quantities of water to coffee that work out to only 13 or 13.5 to 1. What ratio would you recommend for these coffees?
    Bottled water, Perfect. (also, Musicphan/mike sent me a tablet for 3rd water. so I am looking forward trying that out when I get back home. Thanks Mike). 13 or 13.5 to 1 is bit too much. 16:1 is standard and should be good for Chemex. thanks PS: make it sure to use Burr grinder!. not the blade kind.

hello Kudzu/Ernie.
    I am adding one more for you. this SHB 83 point is from our own farm. Nothing super special, but just simple good SHB. it is Oro Bruto which means NOT SORTED. So you might find some defective roasted beans. you can just pick them out and use them for Chemex.

Last 100 grams of Finca Las Rosas Geisha for my forum friend Kudzu.-17626327_1912877142329406_8567702906155167314_n.jpg

okay, just came back from the post office.
    here is the tracking # for you.

Last 100 grams of Finca Las Rosas Geisha for my forum friend Kudzu.-17757317_1912877135662740_6702302868628430198_n.jpg

Alex, in an earlier post you cautioned about using good water and proper ratio. For these special coffees I will use bottled water, rather than the filtered tap water that I usually use. The ratio I usually use is 16:1, but I have recently seen some recommended quantities of water to coffee that work out to only 13 or 13.5 to 1. What ratio would you recommend for these coffees?
    hello Ernie,
    how are you? it has been a week since you received the samples I sent to you. have you had a chance to taste and compare them? please let us know. thanks

When I PM'd Alex (aka ensoluna) and asked about a trustworthy source for Geisha coffee beans, and he offered to send me his last 100 grams of Geisha beans to try, I told him straight-up I was not worthy of his generosity, but could not resist. The problem is that, even though I try to source high quality, freshly-roasted coffee beans and optimize my brewing process, I just do not have the knowledge or educated palate to discern and describe the nuances of taste between different coffees. Honestly, I can do little more than say which I like better. When experts cup coffee and describe the taste characteristics, I can usually discern only one or two of the most prevalent tastes or aftertaste. And, that is after they have told me what is there and I know what to look for!

Alex suggested I also compare a sample of another freshly-roasted coffee with the three he was sending me. What I had on-hand was an Ethiopian (Agaro - Duromina Coop) obtained from a local roaster. The way I tried the coffees was to drink the Ethiopian for my morning coffee, as usual, and then to try one of Alex's coffees for my afternoon pick-me-up.

My brewing technique with the Chemex is as depicted in the YouTube video on the subject by Stumptown. When it comes to brewing good coffee, I believe exquisite cleanliness is important. The beans were ground at the time of brewing using a Baratza Virtuoso. As much residue was removed from the grinder, before each use, as possible. The grinder setting was 18, except a couple of clicks finer for the Geisha. The water used was Dasani bottled water at a target temperature of 200 F. The water:coffee ratio used was 16:1.

BOURBON - I fear I screwed-up this coffee. When brewing, I forgot that Alex had told me these beans were NOT SORTED and I should pick out any defective beans. The result was coffee that did not taste good to me and left a distinctly unpleasant aftertaste. Even though Alex said it was nothing special, I expect if I had done my part, it would have been a pleasantly drinkable cup of coffee.

MARAGOGYPE - Wow! These were some BIG beans. The pictures Alex posted did not prepare me for how large these beans actually turned out to be. The taste of this coffee was uniquely pleasing. Drinking it, while doing something else, I realized I kept consciously wanting to reach for the cup and experience the taste. The only thing I can think of that sometimes causes me to feel that way is a great dessert. So, though I cannot describe the nuances of the taste, I LIKED this coffee!

GEISHA - The Geisha is distinctive; it is definitely unlike any coffee I have tasted. I hope Alex, or someone else capable of doing so, will describe the taste characteristics for you. I would also like to know how much Geisha varies when grown in different regions. I understand the conditions for it to grow are quite narrow, so the taste may not vary widely. Is Geisha as good as it is cracked up to be? I don't know, but it is excellent. I may, or may not, splurge a $100 +/- for 12 ounces to experience it further, and to share it with others, but I am certainly indebted to Alex for providing me this sample to experience Geisha coffee.

Alex, I did not do your coffees justice, but I thank you for the experience of tasting them!

hello Ernie.
    very detailed and good posting. Thanks again.

for Bourbon, probably there were some "quakers" in that batch. Quakers are "unmatured" beans which will not get roasted properly (very light color) and it will give you "peanut" flavors and basically one bean will ruin the whole coffee. If you had unpleasant after-taste, probably there were one or two quakers.

for Maragogype, Yes, it is huge beans. I put some photos in my previous posting, but you have to see it to believe it.
    Maragogype flavors are very close to good bourbon beans. Actually, I can not tell the difference in cupping, neither Daniel (my Guatemalan partner) can't. But many good cuppers "claim" that they can tell the difference (but I doubt it :+) The selling point is the SIZE (SIZE MATTERS!). It is the biggest beans in the world and farmers get good pricing for it as long as they process them clean.

for Geisha, the only way I can describe is that if you are a good cupper, you can detect about 10 to 15 different flavors, compared to about 5 to 7 in good bourbon. Not only flavors, when you grind and smell the coffee, it is also very distinctive to any other coffees. Even for me, I would not spend $100 for 12 oz (not even $50 for 12 oz). Why? Maybe because I am a "cheap person" as my wife says, but YOU MUST BE ABLE TO TASTE THE FLAVORS, ALL OF THEM. which means you have to be a really good coffee person/cupper in order to fully enjoy the benefits of Geisha. Honestly, I am not there yet.

Geisha is that expensive not only because it has so many great flavors and aromas, but also what it requires to grow....
    Geisha plant produces 1/3 less quantity than Bourbon plant. 1/5 less than Caturra or Catuai plant.
    Also, regular coffee plants need only once or max twice fertilization, compared to 3 or 4 times fertilization for Geisha.
    And it need 'specific soil and climate' to grow properly. And need A LOT OF ATTENTION AND COSTS like an expensive trophy wife or girl friend.

Finally, processing (wet, dry or honey processing) must be absolutely perfect. Including sorting (absolutely no defective beans what so ever).. all that translates to VERY EXPENSIVE COST which reflects into the pricing.

BUT STILL GEISHA IS A REAL GEM, REAL GREAT COFFEE COMPARED TO OTHER "FU FU BEANS" LIKE LUWAK, JBM AND KONA BEANS.

Again, Thanks Ernie. Hopefully we can do this again next harvest season. :+)

I am offering the highest quality green unroasted or roasted coffee beans produced in South America (arabica gourmet . We've been producing coffee for almost 4 years and we are trying to sell it internationally. If you know any companies or people who buys coffee please let me know.

Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links