Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I've been told by several Roasters that if the coffee is still vacuumed sealed, it's good up to one year! If it's been opened, up to 3 weeks for maximum freshness.

How the coffee is packed is very important to preserve it.

I'm going to say 7 day's for best taste! I'm picky.
    I'm a web nerd for a Coffee Roaster Automation Company in Michigan. Let's talk green beans!

Quote Originally Posted by TEAMCOFFEE View Post
    How the coffee is packed is very important to preserve it.
    what kind of packaging would be best for preserving the coffee? also would it be the same for ground or roasted beans?
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Just kind of curious.... As we all know, most of instant coffee is often packaged in vacuum sealed jars and many ground coffees also.
    but for roasted beans, the preferred method of packaging is valve-sealed bag.
    is this valve bag better than vacuum bag for roasted beans?
    which one will actually taste better within 15 days and which one will last longer (preserving the flavors longer)????
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

What is the best temperature to storage roasted bean coffee? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TEAMCOFFEE View Post
    What is the best temperature to storage roasted bean coffee? Thanks
    Cool and dark place in a opaque container. Beans hate sun light and high temp, nor humidity. so probably 60F to 65 should be perfect.
    Ensoluna S.A. Guatemala
    facebook.com/ensolunausa
    ensoluna.com

Quote Originally Posted by ensoluna View Post
    Cool and dark place in a opaque container. Beans hate sun light and high temp, nor humidity. so probably 60F to 65 should be perfect.
    Thanks ensoluna!

Keeping your beans fresh is SUPER important! Once roasted, the beans release gases and continually evolving in flavor. They taste best 2 days after roast, up to two weeks. Store in a dry and dark place as ensoluna mentioned. Beans can taste good up to 4 weeks from the roast date but they really start to lose their flavor after 4 weeks.

All of the roasters we work with use the valve on their bags and only a small number have paid the money for the machine that vacuum seals it. As most specialty coffee roasters are a small run operation, they may not see it as a cost-effective piece of equipment to buy. However, Vacuum sealing is excellent if the roaster sells their coffee bags to grocery stores. Inevitably, the bag of coffee sits on grocery store shelves for long periods of time before it is purchased. I've also heard that vacuum sealing coffee is good for several months, then once opened, has a lifespan of 2 to 3 weeks. My advice, just buy fresh-roasted beans!

How many days post roast to develop maximum flavor/texture depends on the coffee, roast level, brew method, your taste preference. For less demanding methods like press, drip, etc. 2-3 days is usually enough rest. Espresso is much more demanding and usually needs 5-7 days minimum to really start to shine based on all the coffees I've tried over the years. Too fresh and it's harsh, lacking body, etc.

Regarding longevity... if stored in a cool/dry place coffee used for espresso really should be used within 2-3 weeks max for best results. Of course you can stretch it out as long as you'd like, but the taste/texture will suffer. For other brew methods 3-4 weeks post roast is reasonable.

Long term storage can be obtained by vacuum packing/deep freezing. Some claim the freezer is bad for coffee, but B.S. on that as I've done LOTS of experimenting with this and is works extremely well. Absolute key for this to work is to freeze it when it's fresh as in 4-5 days post roast based on my experiences.

I highly suggest to anyone seriously interested in having good/fresh coffee is to simply home roast. I can have fresh coffee as I need it, roasted to the profile I like in espresso and save at least 40% in the process. What's not to like?
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links