Warehouse left overs

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
With all the importers in the USA there are a few who import massive amounts of beans. At what point do they stop selling older harvests if at all. I have seen some companies discount beans that are a year old but what do they do with beans that are held longer. I can't imagine that they are tossed out

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
With all the importers in the USA there are a few who import massive amounts of beans. At what point do they stop selling older harvests if at all. I have seen some companies discount beans that are a year old but what do they do with beans that are held longer. I can't imagine that they are tossed out
as i know, nobody ever toss out their old beans. it could be two years or 3 years old, but they all sell them at discount. Don't forget. Most of instant coffee companies buy just about ANYTHING available as long as the price is good.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I just picked up some Old Brown Java or Old Government java. Stuff is 6 years old and looks UGH-Leee but it is pretty tasty. Big body, spicey, tobacco notes earthy with no acidity.
old brown.png

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
So how do you know if you are getting a fresh crop when you order. This is not a concern for myself but someone new in the business. Most importers show how many bags are left but a lot do not. I test every bag for moisture content when they arrive mostly for my own records

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
If you are new and don't want to get stuck...tell them exactly what you want..usually if they are past crop I am told. This old Java was not a mistake...I wanted it.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Nope..no magical healing power. It's aged on purpose. It's a process to mimic the effects that happened back in the day while being transported. The coffee would get soaked in seawater and it produced a super low acidic coffee. The beans were similar to Monsoon beans that were left out for months during the monsoon season. I believe they started doing this when faster ships were introduced and the coffee they were delivering didn't have the same taste. So they store it in a cool warehouse to let moist air get to the beans for up to 8 years. This coffee is pretty interesting....Ensoluna...I am going to sell as single origin and also create a blend. Going to play around with a super bright coffee and see if I can find some balance. Maybe 2 different profiles in one blend. I will let you know.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
Interesting stuff I must say. I did run across a similar story about Monsooned Malabar beans. In the past when beans were transported by ships from India to Europe it would take 6 months because they had to go around Africa. During the time the beans were exposed to the humidity and high winds which gave the beans depth and character. As topher said with modern times and faster shipping the beans lost that depth and character so to simulate that they come up with the procedure Alex mentioned with the warehouse exposed to the humidity and monsoon winds to add the character back.

I can't find the original story I read but here is the brief version at Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsooned_Malabar