Coffee Beans VS Espresso Beans?

schendela

May 26, 2017
Visit site
I have been doing some research and just want a clear answer. Is there a difference between Espresso beans and coffee beans.
From what I have read there isnt a difference and the only difference is how they are brewed.
Is that a true statement?

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
This thru me for a loop as well. I kept seeing beans with Espresso in the name and wondered the same.

But isn't it true that people that make espresso shots prefer to use a darker roast?

Also when people talk about drinking expresso is it always the little shots you pull with an espresso machine? Or can it just mean a really strong cup?

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
This thru me for a loop as well. I kept seeing beans with Espresso in the name and wondered the same.

But isn't it true that people that make espresso shots prefer to use a darker roast?

Also when people talk about drinking expresso is it always the little shots you pull with an espresso machine? Or can it just mean a really strong cup?
yes, many people thinks that it should be darker roasts, but not true. it can be any types of roast. for our shop, we use Light/Med roast. But you have to grind them Super fine. Yes, espresso (not expresso) is the little shot that you get from an espresso machine. However, how do you define "a really strong cup"? Your "strong" means .... more caffeine? more bitter? darker?

Duffyjr

Jan 10, 2017
Nebraska
Visit site
However, how do you define "a really strong cup"? Your "strong" means .... more caffeine? more bitter? darker?

Since I've never had an espresso shot all I can go by is what I've read. So let me ask this, if your were an experienced espresso drinker how would you explain to a dripper like me what the difference is, what should I expect or look for in a good shot as far as taste. Super fine grind would suggest to me as being bitter but that is only what I see when grinding for my dripper and I don't have to get any where near fine to start tasting bitter coffee.

I could probably get on board with using dark/light to describe a cup. For instance, the Sumatra that I just posted about I would describe as dark/stronger than some of the Central American coffees I've had lately. Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and my current bean is from Panama I would describe all of these as lighter cups.

We do have a Starbucks here so I could go get one but I'd rather my first espresso shot be a good one :lol:

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Since I've never had an espresso shot all I can go by is what I've read. So let me ask this, if your were an experienced espresso drinker how would you explain to a dripper like me what the difference is, what should I expect or look for in a good shot as far as taste. Super fine grind would suggest to me as being bitter but that is only what I see when grinding for my dripper and I don't have to get any where near fine to start tasting bitter coffee.

I could probably get on board with using dark/light to describe a cup. For instance, the Sumatra that I just posted about I would describe as dark/stronger than some of the Central American coffees I've had lately. Guatemala, Honduras, Costa Rica and my current bean is from Panama I would describe all of these as lighter cups.

We do have a Starbucks here so I could go get one but I'd rather my first espresso shot be a good one :lol:
Super find ground does not mean "bitter" taste at all. I should say it should be called "Bold" taste. If you taste "bitter" in your espresso, it is not a good espresso.

Actually espresso is way more popular in Europe than USA, specially in Italy, believe it or not, that is all they drink, all day long. When Italian ask for "caffe", automatically, it means a strong shot of espresso. (Actually no one uses the term "espresso" in Italy).

Besides this "caffe", sometimes they drink Macchiato (espresso + bit of steamed milk). or Americano (espresso + hot water).

Many people think that espresso is a dark, bitter to burnt flavored roast. (actually, you can see "espresso roast" labeled roasted dark beans in many markets and coffee shops. But it is wrong because espresso is not a type of roast. IT IS A METHOD OF PREPARING COFFEE.

Espresso coffee is OFTEN (BUT NOT ALWAYS) blended from several different types of coffees (like Guatemalan + Sumatra + bit of high quality Robusta from India for color and crema), but if you go to most of coffee origin countries, such as Guatemala, Colombia, Panama,..etc, they tend to use just one type of coffee to make espresso because THEY CAN NOT GET OTHER COUNTRY COFFEES. (I posted the reasons about this in my many previous postings).

Anyway, espresso shouldn't be bitter at all.

And as for "strong coffee", it is not caffeine content. how dark the roast is, how concentrated your coffee is (like espresso).
it is about water to coffee ratio. Every coffee preparing method has their recommended water to coffee ratio. When you use MORE COFFEE than the recommended ratio, it is called "strong coffee".

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Packages labelled espresso in grocery stores are done so because of the process of product development. Initially, they come up with the ideal product. They then try to retain some semblance of that taste while cutting the cost out of the product. The product ends up being specialized only for that method of preparation because any other preparation changes the extraction and hence the taste.

Should you have quality beans............you can almost prep it any way you wish (I did say almost)

kathiefitzpatrick

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Yes, but they are a special kind of coffee bean

June 25, 2017

About your question Coffee beans vs. Espresso Beans: Yes, they are coffee beans but a special kind of coffee bean. Usually, they are Arabica or another extra strong, dark and robust coffee bean. Then once finely ground and brewed in the espresso machine, it produces the results we love. -kathiefitzpatrick

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Let's keep it simple... espresso beans are simply a combination of coffee beans (or blend) designed to be used in a espresso machine.

Since they are simply beans they can be used in any brewing method but may taste best still using a espresso machine. You will find espresso blend coffee roasted at all different levels and use all different types of coffee beans. In the US, we typically use all Arabica beans, some roasters still use a touch of Robusta for additional crema (but is not common now, but was 10 years ago).