Coffee countries

jonvalid

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
I am currently developing a freeware computer game about coffee trade, and I was wondering if anybody would like to arrange the following countries coffee from best to worst (perhaps by saying something about their different qualities). I understand of course that there are several types of coffee from each different country, but I only focus on the best/most famous type.

Etiopia
Kenya
Tanzania
Uganda
Yemen
Zimbabwe
India
Java
Papa New-Guinea
Sumatra
Costa Rica
Cuba
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Jamaica
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Puerto Rico
Brasil
Colombia
Ecuador
Peru
Venezuela

(I don't know if all the names are spelled right, as english is not my first language)

Anyone who helps will get their name in the credits of the game.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Ummm...first of all....every coffee has different qualities. You can not say that one coffee is the best. It is all in preferance. I mean you can arrange in who produces more coffee...anyway...I am on vacation now but when I get back to the office I will email you a break down of coffee characteristics.

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Also some of the "blends" you buy may say "Jamaican Gold" or something on the bag, but then when you read the fine print it's mostly mouse turds with 5% jamaican grounds.

Ok I exaggerate but you get the idea :D My point is that people who have 'bad coffee' from a country may be misinformed.

Good luck on your game though!

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Sorry coffee guy but you are mistaken...my favorite coffee is the best and if someone doesn't like it...they have no tastes(just kidding)

Colombian Supremo- Medium body and acidity. This coffee is mellow in taste with a sweet spicy aroma.

Sumatra Mandheling- Most full bodied of coffees. You can feel the richenss setting in the corners behind your tongue. It has relatively low acidity, but enough to keep the cup vibrant and interesting, rich, smooth and full flavor.

Guatamalan- Medium to full bodied and rich in flavor. This coffee also has a distinct smokey flavor and is a fairly rich cup.

Kenya AA-Distinct dry, winy aftertaste, full-bodied richness . Great coffee for people who like the striking and unusual coffees.

Tanzanian Peaberry-sharp winy acidity typical of african and arabian coffees. Medium to full bodied and fairly rich in flavor.

Ethiopian Yirgacheffe- Rich teasing and mysteriuos on the palate, with a very long resonant finish, its acidity vibrates inside the richness of the body, but adds a soft fragrant flowery note.

Mexican Altura- Delicate in body, with a pleasently dry acidy snap.

Hawaiian Kona-rich yet light bodied with a natural sweetness

Matari Mocha-The acidity leaves an unmistakable dry, winelike aftertaste on the palate. In addition to its rich winy quality, Mocha has its own particular flavor note, which can be associated with chocolate.

Brazilian Santos-smooth flavor, medium body, with moderate acidity
Coffee Glossary

Acidity-refers to the sharpness or dryness that a coffee produces on the back of our palate

Arabica-the finest of coffee beans available. Most specialty coffees are arabica, grown between 3,000 to 6,000 feet above sea level.

Aroma- Characteristics that are distinguished by smell. Such characteristics could be "floral" or "winy"

Blend- two or more individual coffees that are mixed together to bring out desired characteristics

Body-the richness or heaviness that is felt on the tongue

Buttery: An oily, rich flavor and texture, characteristic of some Indonesian varietals and those brewing methods which feature substantial quantities of coffee particles in suspension(french press, and espresso machine)

Carmelly- Term used to describe coffees that are candylike or syrupy flavor

Chocolaty- Term used to describe an aftertaste similar to unsweetend chocolate

Clean- Characteristic of all fine coffees. It refers to distinct taste characteristics as opposed to muddied impressions of flavor

Complexity- The perception of multiple flavors

Delicate- Term used to describe a subtle flavor left on the tip of the tongue by a coffee

Exotic- Refers to coffees with unusual aromatic and flavor notes("floral", "berry-like"and "sweet-spice-like")

Flavor- The overall perception of the coffee in the mouth. Components of flavor include acidity, aroma, and body

Fruity- A characteristic reminiscent of citrus or berries

Mellow- Smooth taste, lacking acidity

Peaberry- Eahc coffee cherry contains two coffee beans. Occasionally, a cherry will form with only one bean. These are peaberries and are generally sold as their own grade. All coffees produce about 20% of its coffee in peaberry form.

Richness- refers to boday and fullness

Spicy- Describes a coffee that has a flavor and aroma reminiscent of spices

Winy- Describes a coffee that has an aftertaste reminiscent of a well matured wine

jonvalid

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for your help

First of all I would like to thank alle of you for the help. It has been very useful.

I understand that coffee taste of course is a very personal opinion and a hard thing to grade, however it is after all a game about coffee trade and marketing and therefore every coffee needs to be categorized in order to do calculations and to give the game diversity and depth. Also it is useful with some second opinions in addition to what I find on web-sites and what opinions I have myself.

Anyway this have helped my quite a lot, and I'll be sure to post a link when my game is finished.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Thanks topher:

Great descriptions...Your insight into capturing each bean is very good. Jonvalid this should help you develop your game. If not, then switch your game to tea :grin: Just kidding! Good luck with your game.