Where to buy green/raw coffee + Recommendation for coffee for espresso machine

jumpinjammin

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
I have a new Super Automatic espresso machine, along with a new roaster

Now I need to find the best place to buy about 5lb's off green coffee at a time.

- Any recommendation on where to buy green/raw coffee for the best price?

- Any recommendations on what bean to by for best espresso coffee?

I can't use oily beans in my machine, so please consider when making recommendations. Thank you so much!!

derek.peris

Aug 15, 2018
Blaine, WA
Visit site
Where are you located? When buying 5lb bags or any amount, shipping is your biggest factor. Find a green supplier you can go visit and buy from locally.

PS your new little roaster makes them oily, not where you buy them from. So you can take full responsibility if you make your espresso beans oily when you roast them.

Seb2132

Nov 10, 2018
Brazil
Visit site
Hello, I have a similar problem. I'm currently looking to begin on a mid-size roasting operation located in New Mexico. I can seem to be able to find a good stable source for green coffee, especially Arabica coffee. Does anyone have any advice regarding the subject? Thaks

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
JJ... check out Sweet Marias, Coffee Bean Corral, Burman... there are a number of small suppliers as well as check your local roaster.

Seb2132 - what Qty are you needing?

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
JJ... check out Sweet Marias, Coffee Bean Corral, Burman... there are a number of small suppliers as well as check your local roaster.

Seb2132 - what Qty are you needing?

All good options. We also offer 25lb increments ---> armeniacoffee.com - we offer free shipping on all orders so it might be worth it to buy 25lb of coffee over 5/10+shipping. Your choice as the consumer to do the math and figure out a place that works best for your application of course. The freshness of the green should be the main concern over cost in this arena of small amounts relative to a full jute.

As one poster said OP you are in charge of the amount of oil as long as the green is fresh.

Good luck with both posters inquiries.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Home roasting is awesome as I've been doing it for about 2.5 years now and have no intention of ever buying roasted coffee again. I've only used 2 green suppliers... Happy Mug I bought 15# from one time. Price was crazy low, in bulk that order cost me about $4/lb and shipping was nice as well. Maybe $10 at the most and it arrived in 3-4 days. Green quality was pretty good... I did notice more defects (hollowed out, dust, etc.) than I expected, but you get what you pay for. Their descriptions are a bit lacking if you ask me though. The other greens supplier has been Sweet Maria's as they simply have a great selection year round, have killer roasting/cupping notes and charts that indicate what they find the best of in every coffee. The coffee quality is top notch, batch-batch year round is very consistent and their customer service is nice as well. It does cost a bit more than others, but you get what you pay for. in 2.5 years I've bought/roasted about 275# (home use only) and 260# has came from Sweet Maria's. I've tried 7-8 different blends and single origins specifically for espresso, but my 2 favorite by far are the Espresso Monkey blend and the Altiplano blend. I take all my coffees just into 2nd crack (10 seconds or so in), let them degas in Mason jars for 24 hrs with the lid loose, then snug the lid and let it sit 5-6 days before using. Every morning I'm using coffee that averages being 7-8 days post roast, which gives incredible flavor and consistency. Cost-wise it's awesome... those coffees in 15# bulk orders (cheaper than 1#), adding $9/shipping flat rate up to 20#, an average of 17% weight/moisture loss and the coffee roasted costs me around $7/lb doing it myself. I have fresh coffee when I need it, roasted to the flavor/texture profile I like and I'm saving 40-50% over what I once bought from roasters.

To avoid oily coffee issues simply roast a bit lighter or don't let the coffee sit too long after roasting. Being roasted darker pulls oils to the surface as does sitting in storage for too long.

Last edited:

flyingboujanero

Nov 15, 2018
Visit site
Home roasting is awesome as I've been doing it for about 2.5 years now and have no intention of ever buying roasted coffee again. I've only used 2 green suppliers... Happy Mug I bought 15# from one time. Price was crazy low, in bulk that order cost me about $4/lb and shipping was nice as well. Maybe $10 at the most and it arrived in 3-4 days. Green quality was pretty good... I did notice more defects (hollowed out, dust, etc.) than I expected, but you get what you pay for. Their descriptions are a bit lacking if you ask me though. The other greens supplier has been Sweet Maria's as they simply have a great selection year round, have killer roasting/cupping notes and charts that indicate what they find the best of in every coffee. The coffee quality is top notch, batch-batch year round is very consistent and their customer service is nice as well. It does cost a bit more than others, but you get what you pay for. in 2.5 years I've bought/roasted about 275# (home use only) and 260# has came from Sweet Maria's. I've tried 7-8 different blends and single origins specifically for espresso, but my 2 favorite by far are the Espresso Monkey blend and the Altiplano blend. I take all my coffees just into 2nd crack (10 seconds or so in), let them degas in Mason jars for 24 days, then let it sit 5-6 days before using. Every morning I'm using coffee that averages being 7-8 days post roast, which gives incredible flavor and consistency. Cost-wise it's awesome... those coffees in 15# bulk orders (cheaper than 1#), adding $9/shipping flat rate up to 20#, an average of 17% weight/moisture loss and the coffee roasted costs me around $7/lb doing it myself. I have fresh coffee when I need it, roasted to the flavor/texture profile I like and I'm saving 40-50% over what I once bought from roasters.

To avoid oily coffee issues simply roast a bit lighter or don't let the coffee sit too long after roasting. Being roasted darker pulls oils to the surface as does sitting in storage for too long.

I'm hoping it's a typo- BUT you degas in Mason jars for 24 days? Beyond what I'm hoping is a time discrepancy, do you seal them? Or leave them open?

To add something of value besides asking for clarification Sweet Marias is nice. My go-to is Bodhi Leaf Traders. sign up for their mailing list, they've got coupons/deals all the time!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yes good catch, which I have corrected. I let them degas with the lid loose for 24 hrs, then snug it down and let them age 5-6 days before using. Too fresh and you miss out on some flavor... Too old and you start to lose texture.

Last edited: