What is the difference between a normal coffee been and Espresso bean?

coffeelover11

Dec 5, 2018
Visit site
I have reading articles because i bought a home coffee brewing machine. But now i'm stuck with the choice of picking the right coffee beans. In some articles say that you should espresso beans and some say buy roast regular coffee beans... So its frustrating... What is the difference and how exactly do they differ ?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I have reading articles because i bought a home coffee brewing machine. But now i'm stuck with the choice of picking the right coffee beans. In some articles say that you should espresso beans and some say buy roast regular coffee beans... So its frustrating... What is the difference and how exactly do they differ ?

First of all, what kind of coffee brewing machine do you have? Is it a drip brewer? Is it an espresso machine?

Espresso beans are variety of roasted coffee beans that are blended together. They are meant to be ground and used in an espresso coffee machine to make a shot of espresso.

Sometimes articles that you read on the Internet will refer to espresso beans as an espresso blend.

Regular roasted beans are meant to be ground and used in a drip coffee maker. There are many. many types of regular roasted beans to choose from, and you will need to experiment with different ones to see what you like.

~ Rose

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site

Use whatever you try and like... "Espresso Beans" are simply coffee beans blended for use in espresso based drinks. I.E. Capps, Lattes, etc. HOWEVER, you can use them in any type of drip machine, etc. For example, I have an espresso blend made up of Guatemalan, Brazil and Sumatra beans - this combination of beans makes up the flavor I'm looking for in my espresso and designed to still taste good in milky/sugar drinks. Those same Guat, Brazil and Sumatra are used in other blends, as well as coffee sold as single origin. You can also go the other way - use a single origin coffee in your espresso machine. If you like it, you like it.. don't get caught up in labels...

211bma

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I would only add that sometimes espresso can be single origin, but that it is best if the bean is well rounded in flavor.