What is French Roast?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Coffee Music,

If you do a Google search for the roasting levels for coffee beans, you will see many descriptions of each kind of roast.

French Roast is one of those levels. Here is an example:

Roasting just slightly longer brings coffee to the French Roast level. With more oil on the bean and a little darker color than Full City Roast, French Roast brings coffee to the height of it's flavor. French Roast creates a deep heavy flavor, some of the more subtle flavors of coffee will be hidden by the dark roasted smokeyness.

~ Rose

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
French roast is just before the last roast style wich is charcoal roast :decaf: If that can give you an idea of the quality of the green beans to go to french roast territory.

Hi Coffee Music,

If you do a Google search for the roasting levels for coffee beans, you will see many descriptions of each kind of roast.

French Roast is one of those levels. Here is an example:

Roasting just slightly longer brings coffee to the French Roast level. With more oil on the bean and a little darker color than Full City Roast, French Roast brings coffee to the height of it's flavor. French Roast creates a deep heavy flavor, some of the more subtle flavors of coffee will be hidden by the dark roasted smokeyness.

~ Rose

So it's another way of creating longevity for the coffee, not flavor. I knew it! Why do that to coffee.

KitchenVarieties

Mar 28, 2019
USA
Visit site
French (alt. Turkish, Dark, Espresso) is the name applied to a degree of roast of coffee beans resulting in a dark brown coffee bean. In this roast, the beans are well into the second crack. French roasted beans will have a dark brown color and a shiney surface from its oils.

Last edited by a moderator:

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
I bought a French Roast once. French Roast is cooked longer than Dark Roast. Anyway, I opened the bag, rolled it shut and bent wire to secure it. Placed it in a kitchen cupboard. I was sitting 15 feet away and it felt as if my lungs were closing off!!! It was that pervasive and noxious!!! I had to take the bag outside to the trash! I couldn't have it in the house!

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
A little bit history about French roast:

[FONT=q_serif]Roasted coffee was sent over to the French colonies in the south but would often be oxidized or get wet and mold on the way over. Re-roasting the coffee allowed the coffee to be used, the darker roast removing the tainted flavor and breathing a bit of life back into the coffee. A lot of roasters today still re-roast coffee that is nearing the end of its shelf life to avoid the loss.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]French wasn't because Europeans liked darker coffee so much as it was Americans trying to recoup losses. The coffee they were running through a second time was French.

So just like French fries, French roast has nothing to do with France![/FONT]

Very interesting, no wonder my lungs were shutting down from a closed bag, placed in side a cabinet and from 15 feet away!!

Frihed89

Dec 2, 2007
Copenhagen
Visit site
One thing I do know is that you can't buy French Roast coffee in France and, with the execution of one Amazon seller in the UK, I can't find it anywhere in Europe. As of Dec. 31, the UK will no longer be in the EU and I will have to pay the 25% Danish duty on anything I import from the UK.