Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yeah, freezer is not recommended because the gases inside sometimes mix up if the container used is not a vacuum one. Also the smell of other things mix up inside.
    The most proper format of storing coffee beans are vacuum sealed containers and there are special containers for that. Here are few great ones to consider!

Proper format, lmao?!? I've vacuum sealed/deep frozen whole bean coffee in Mason jars as well as FoodSaver bags and they work quite well. There is no special vacuum container that 'must' be used for optimal results. Next to home roasting, buying in bulk and vacuum sealing/deep freezing is the next best way to have great coffee at an affordable price. I use all coffees specifically for espresso and everything I've tried has been rather awesome.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

Those are good containers, but, they are designed only for short term storage of coffee that will be used daily. Often we buy too much and bean might sit two months or more. For ling term storage a better solution are the specially design plastics such as Food Saver which have multiple layers to prevent air molecules from passing either way in or out of the bag. Followed up with storage of vacuum sealed bean in a freezer. Then when the need for the frozen bean happens. Allow the bean to thaw in the refrigerator maybe two days, then allow to sit at room temperature for one. If a bag of cold bean is opened, it will quickly condense moisture on the surface of the bean.

I found wide mouth Mason jars to be superior to the FoodSaver bags/material. Used the wide mouth jar attachment for the FoodSaver and worked great. Of course the jars, lids are reusable indefinitely and don't absorb any off taste/odor.

When I needed a fresh jar I would just take it out of deep freeze, let it come up to room temp and start using it.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

I used to have a small mouth mason jar foodsaver attachment.... I only had wide mouth jars! LOL!! But yes, you can reuse mason jars over and over. I might buy a new set with both large and small mason jar opening sizes.

Humm, didn't see that coming! Depends on price, both mason jars opening sizes plus tube is $19 on Amazon, I can't locate what is in the picture on, foodsaver nor Amazon site.

I'll keep an eye open but can't even find on foodsaver website itself...

Those are standard vacuum attachments for large and small mason jars, the picture in your past post shown looks different. In USA, difficult to tell, if north carolina can be considered as part of America! LOL
    Last edited by mawil1013; 05-24-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Foodsaver sells you these so you can fit on any jars/cans:
    Attachment 9952
    I see now! I ordered the food saver set of small and large mason jar, this pic threw me off but after seeing them in real life, these are the. Which worked out great as a two pound bag of bean around at same time, so I got it broken down into pint jars to eliminate opening over and over as I use it up. So, great post of yours, mucho help to me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links